RE: virus: Re: Abstract and Concrete

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 11:52:55 MST

    [Blunderov]
    I was interested to discover that the distinction between abstract and
    concrete is something that has only very recently come to the attention
    of Philososphy.

    It really is very interesting - are, for instance, memes abstract or
    concrete?

    Best Regards

    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/abstract-objects/
    <snip>
    Abstract Objects
    It is widely supposed that every object falls into one of two
    categories: Some things are concrete; the rest abstract. The distinction
    is supposed to be of fundamental significance for metaphysics and
    epistemology. The present article surveys a number of recent attempts to
    say how it should be drawn.

    Introduction
    The abstract/concrete distinction has a curious status in contemporary
    philosophy. It is widely agreed that the distinction is of fundamental
    importance. But there is no standard account of how the distinction is
    to be explained. There is a great deal of agreement about how to
    classify certain paradigm cases. Thus it is universally acknowledged
    that numbers and the other objects of pure mathematics are abstract,
    whereas rocks and trees and human beings are concrete. Indeed the list
    of paradigms may be extended indefinitely:

    ABSTRACTA CONCRETA
    Classes Stars
    Propositions Protons
    Concepts The electromagnetic field
    The letter A Stanford University
    Dante's Inferno James Joyce's copy of Dante's Inferno
    ... ...

    The challenge remains, however, to say what underlies this alleged
    dichotomy. In the absence of such an account, the philosophical
    significance of the contrast remains uncertain. We may know how to
    classify things as abstract or concrete by appeal to "intuition". But
    unless we know what makes for abstractness and concreteness, we cannot
    know what (if anything) hangs on the classification.

    Historical Remarks
    The contemporary distinction between abstract and concrete is not an
    ancient distinction. Indeed, there is a strong case for the view that
    despite occasional anticipations, it plays no significant role in
    philosophy before the 20th century.
    </snip>