Re: virus: Re:Lexicon definition of atheism still not changed

From: Ant (antallan@mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 09:32:55 MST

    I think is futile to try and "create" a definition that is consistent
    with other a- words.

    Definitions in English have to reflect idiomatic usage... and idiom
    tends to be (i) inconsistent and (ii) mutable.

    Otherwise you could go mad about people using "disinterested" when they
    mean "uninterested": in common usage, disinterested now means both
    impartial and not interested. Where's the consistency with other dis-
    or un- words?

    I think the Lexicon should reflect idiomatic usage. If we want to be
    discursive, fine, but that's really annotation not definition.

    Regards,
    Ant