virus: This is why moderates don't matter

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 21:18:02 MST

    http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/102503C.shtml

    A Brief History of Computerized Election Fraud in America
    By Victoria Collier

    Saturday 25 October 2003

    "*Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"- Thomas Jefferson*

    In the 2000 election, George W. Bush stole the presidency by combining
    various forms of vote fraud, not all of which could be concealed from the
    American public.

    The month-long battle in Dade County ended with open slaughter of the
    democratic process, and the occupation of the country by a regime of what
    may be accurately described as corporate fascists. That's the bad news.

    The good news is, the 2000 election also marked a turning point in
    American consciousness. Or, I might venture to say, an awakening. Before
    W's coup, most Americans were, for lack of a better metaphor, asleep at
    the wheel. This metaphor works just fine, because our electoral process
    is the wheel that guides our nation, the mechanism that allows us to
    control the engines of power, and to turn our country in a new direction
    if, for instance, we're nearing the edge of a cliff. /Nothing/ is more
    important to an American citizen than the right to cast a ballot.

    But modern Americans have been abandoning the voting booth in droves.
    Over the past fifty years, less than half of all eligible voters went to
    the polls, sometimes less than 25%. However, far more astounding is that
    those who voted rarely bothered to wonder if their vote was counted
    accurately.

    A vote cast but not counted is meaningless. The only way to know that
    your vote is properly counted is to watch the 'entire counting process',
    which is why election law requires an open, public vote count, and makes
    secret ballot counting illegal. However, most voters have eagerly
    abdicated the responsibility of overseeing their vote count to a handful
    of extremely dubious "experts" and "officials." Human nature is largely
    to blame. November election night in most states is cold -- and often
    wet. Those who manage to make their way to the polls after work want only
    to go home, turn on the TV, and let their local newscaster tell them who
    won. And yet, our natural instinct to curl up on the couch cannot be
    wholly to blame. Recent history has shown that the most avid political
    junkies even candidates themselves -- have demonstrated a profound
    disinterest in how the gears and levers work behind the scene on election
    night, or who is controlling them. It should not surprise us that vote
    fraud has flourished in this vacuum of electoral vigilance.

    Criminals of every stripe have slithered through the unwatched gates and
    into positions of power in America. It has not taken them long to corrupt
    the entire electoral process itself, securing for themselves the gates of
    power. As I write this article, America is on the verge of losing the
    last shreds of its democracy, with the rise of ballot-less computerized
    voting machines. *One Machine to Rule Them All*

    Thanks in part to the recent Bush approved Help America Vote Act (HAVA),
    squadrons of shiny new Touch Screen Trojan horses are being rolled into
    precincts across America. Not, as we are told, to make voting easier or
    more accurate, or to help disabled people vote privately, or to save
    America from the dangers of hanging chad and butterfly ballots -- no.

    The real reason America is being flooded with billions of dollars worth
    of paperless computerized voting machines is so that no one will 'ever
    again' be able to prove vote fraud.

    These machines are not just unverifiable, they are secretly programmed
    (their software is not open to scrutiny by election officials or computer
    experts), equipped with modems, accessible by computer, telephone, and
    satellite. They are the final product of decades of work by the election
    rigging industry. When they are installed in every precinct in America,
    our elections will finally become completely meaningless, nothing more
    than charades behind which criminal thugs will wield the power of this
    nation.

    That is the plan for America. But there's a glitch. The blatant and
    multi-faceted fraud of the 2000 election -- in which the ultimate poster
    boy for corporate corruption stole the highest seat in the nation -- woke
    the American people from their dangerous slumber. The issue of election
    fraud is now smoldering in the minds of millions. Of course the Touch
    Screens were immediately offered as the solution to all our voting
    problems, but thanks to the wonderful work of many new computerized vote
    fraud researchers, most notably Bev Harris (author of Black Box Voting),
    Americans are quickly recognizing that the "solution" is worse than the
    problem.

    Despite the best propaganda efforts of corrupt voting machine
    corporations like Diebold and ES&S, even those with the worst butterfly
    ballot jitters are coming to understand that destroying the ballot
    altogether, erasing any verifiable record of the vote count and making a
    recount impossible, is /not/ the answer to our problems. And, as the
    Touch Screen systems continue to openly malfunction, increasing numbers
    of voters will begin doubting their safety and accuracy. It's becoming
    clear to Americans that, just like the aftermath of the Enron scandal, no
    real government reform is forthcoming in the area of election security.
    The news is out that the same company that was used in Florida to purge
    voter rolls of millions of African American votes is now being hired by
    other states across the country /for the same job/. As you will soon see,
    many of our Boards of Elections and Secretary's of State will continue to
    blindly defend their collusion with shadowy corporations, and spending
    billions of tax-payer dollars on unreliable machines that patently
    subvert the democratic process. Why? Because they have sold out. They
    have been bought by corporate interests. It happened a long time ago.

    As political events at home and around the world continue to unfold in
    one devastating disaster after another, our cry for honest elections will
    only grow louder. The movement toward real election reform, and what
    will, in the end, amount to a revolution by the American people, is only
    just beginning.

    We the People are responsible for taking back the control of our
    democratic process. No one else will do it for us. We cannot afford to be
    naive, or uneducated, at this time in history. In order to fully
    understand the extent of the corruption we are dealing with, and to avoid
    making dangerous mistakes based on ignorance, we must understand the
    history, and the power structure, behind vote fraud in America.

    *Votescam: The Stealing of America*

    *"One of the most mysterious, low-profile, covert, shadowy, questionable
    mechanisms of American democracy is the American vote count." ---
    Votescam*

    I grew up with two men who spent twenty-five years investigating vote
    fraud in America: James and Kenneth Collier, my father and uncle. Their
    book, "Votescam: The Stealing of America" was published in 1992 and
    immediately banned by the major book chains, which listed the book as
    "out of print" and actively worked to prevent its sale. Votescam
    chronicles the Collier brother's groundbreaking investigation into
    America's multi-billion dollar election rigging industry, and the
    corporate government and media officials who control it. Before the 2000
    election, Votescam was widely read (thanks to independent bookstores and
    the Internet) by the minority of Americans still engaged in the political
    process, mostly members of independent and third parties trying to break
    the chokehold of the two party system. The corporate media will not give
    their causes or their candidates adequate press coverage -- if any. This
    censorship alone effectively controls the first stages of our political
    races. If a candidate can't get T.V. coverage, he or she has little
    chance of even making it out the gate. These citizens were not surprised
    to learn that the media has been complicit in rigging the final stages of
    our elections our vote counting and the reporting of results -- for
    decades.

    * Down the Rabbit Hole*

    The Votescam investigation began in 1970, in surprise!-- Dade County,
    Florida, where Ken ran for Congress (with Jim as his campaign manager)
    against Claude Pepper, the "Father of Social Security." The Colliers were
    researching a book they were writing for Dell Publishing titled: "Running
    Through the System: Ballots Not Bullets," an idea born from their
    involvement in the social upheaval of the sixties. Jim and Ken proposed
    that if our Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights
    were indeed the rule of the land, real change could be made in America by
    working within the system -- more effectively, and much more safely, than
    waging bloody revolution in the streets.  Putting their ideals, love of
    country, and political savvy to the test, the Colliers began their
    grassroots Congressional campaign and discovered exactly /why/ the
    bullet, not the ballot, was being used to change the power structure in
    America.

    Ken was rigged out of the election through a vote scam, which the
    Colliers later discovered was used throughout the country for decades. It
    went like this: The local newscaster would announce during the broadcast
    of election returns that election "computer has broken down." Instead of
    giving official returns from the County courthouse, the networks would be
    running vote "projections" for the rest of the night.

    Jim and Ken, who had garnered 30 percent of the vote and were excited
    about running again, noticed that when the vote totals came back on the
    screen after the announcement, they had mysteriously lost 15 percentage
    points. They didn't get another vote for the rest of the night. This
    piqued their interest.

    When they examined the "official" election results from the Secretary of
    State's office for the September primary, October run-off and November
    final election in Dade County, the record listed a total of 141,000 votes
    cast for the Governors race in each election. The exact same number of
    total votes were cast for three elections with a different number of
    candidates running each time./ The same identical figures were listed for
    the Senate race 122,000 votes cast in the primary, run-off and final
    election.  This, of course, is a statistical impossibility. When they
    compared the "official" vote results with a print-out of the vote
    "projections" broadcast by the TV networks on the final election night,
    they found that channel 4 had "projected" with near perfect accuracy the
    results of 40 races with 250 candidates only 4 minutes after the polls
    closed.

    Channel 7 came even closer; at 9:31 pm, they "projected" the final vote
    total for a race at 96,499 votes. When the Colliers checked the
    "official" number . . . it was also 96,499. "In hockey, they call that a
    hat trick," the Colliers write. "In politics, we call it a fix."  The
    networks then made the astonishing claim that the results from a /single
    voting machine/ somewhere in Dade County were run through a computer
    program in order to get these vote projections. Elton Davis was the
    computer programmer responsible for the magic formula that could convert
    one machine's vote results into near perfect projected vote totals for 40
    races and 250 candidates. When Jim and Ken confronted Davis in his office
    at the University of Miami, he responded: "You'll never prove it, now get
    out."

    Finally the networks claimed that members of the League of Women Voters
    were out in the field on election night, calling in vote totals to
    channels 4 and 7.

    When the Colliers confronted the head of the League, Joyce Deiffenderfer,
    she admitted that there were no LWV members out in the field that night.
    She broke down crying, saying "I don't want to get caught up in this
    thing."

    But there's more.

    According to the print-out of the TV network's election night
    "projections," the networks were not receiving any actual voting results
    at any time during their broadcast, but had been using their own
    projections from the moment the polls closed. When they claimed that the
    courthouse computer had broken down, and they would no longer be
    reporting actual vote totals, they were lying. They had never been
    reporting actual vote totals.

    However, the final shoe dropped months later when an official press
    release appeared from Dade data processing chief, Leonard White, which
    stated emphatically: /The county computer at the courthouse was never
    down, and it was never slow.

    This was the beginning.

    The Collier brothers had slammed their boat into the tip of a giant
    iceberg. As they continued to investigate, they were horrified to
    discover vote fraud collusion among key individuals in every branch and
    on every level of the American political system. Those who were not
    benefiting from the fraud were too afraid to fight it. Their search for
    justice led to dead-ends. Their lives were threatened, they were vilified
    as conspiracy theorists by the mainstream press, Dell publishing
    cancelled their book contract . . . and yet they persevered.

    The next quarter century was spent compiling a wealth of FBI documented
    evidence proving that elections in the United States have come under the
    tight control of a handful of powerful and corrupt people: Secretaries of
    State, Election Supervisors, Judges, owners and editors of the major
    media outlets, voting equipment corporations, and assorted key members of
    the elections establishment, including the League of Woman Voters. These
    groups have assured the dominance of the two party system, unfettered
    corporate control over government, and media censorship of issues most
    important to the American people, including the cover-up of vote fraud
    evidence.

    *"Now we understand why things have gone so terribly wrong in this
    country. It's due to the corrupted vote. It is the stolen vote that
    perpetuates corrupt city, state and federal governments. When those
    corrupt power brokers in your town weed out that up-and-coming
    politician, they are looking for a person who is willing to 'play ball.'
    Politics is 'playing ball.' Suddenly you find property decisions going
    against nature; land and water needed for the perpetuation of life on our
    earth suddenly disappear. A handful of developers get richer while the
    land, and the quality of life, get poorer." -- Votescam* Jim and Ken both
    died young during the 90's, as heroes to many thousands who read their
    book and heard them speak on the radio and at political meetings across
    the country. They helped to guide individuals and groups working for
    clean elections in their communities -- some of them fighting against the
    first wave of computerized voting machines. The Collier's last hope was
    that Votescam would be used as evidence in a serious Congressional
    investigation into election fraud, if we should ever see the day. Many
    people still in power have yet to be held accountable for their role in
    aiding and abetting vote fraud. I'll give you two important examples.

    When the famous Miami lawyer Ellis Rubin agreed to be Ombudsman for the
    original Votescam evidence, he brought it to the Florida assistant State
    Attorney at the time, Janet Reno. The evidence included the shaved wheels
    of lever voting machines, forged canvass sheets (the sheets that poll
    workers sign to verify the final vote count), and pre-printed vote tally
    sheets that were used in conjunction with a lever machine vote rigging
    device called the Printomatic.

    Reno refused to prosecute, claiming falsely that the statue of
    limitations had run out on the crime. Years later, Rubin would tell my
    father that behind closed doors Reno had stated that she 'could not'
    prosecute. Why? Because she would bring down many of the most powerful
    people in the state.

    Would the 2000 election fiasco in Florida have been avoided if Reno had
    agreed to do her job thirty years earlier and root out the vote fraud
    thieves?

    Another notable Votescam criminal can now be found sitting on the bench
    of the highest court in the nation. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia,
    while still a Federal Appeals Judge, single handedly destroyed what would
    have been an historic lawsuit filed against Justice Department lawyer
    Craig Donsanto, who had refused to prosecute the extensive vote fraud
    evidence brought to him by the Colliers. The evidence included videotape
    of the League of Women voters tampering with ballots in a close door vote
    "counting" session. The women were illegally punching holes in already
    cast ballots. When confronted by Jim and Ken, just minutes before the two
    were bodily thrown from the building (which they had snuck into), the
    women claimed they were only trying to remove . . . the hanging chad.

    Votescam states, "Because the League of Women Voters has about it a
    perfume of volunteerism and do-goodism, the fact that it is actually a
    political club with a political agenda and a hungry treasury is shrouded
    by the false myth that it is a reliable Election Day watchdog." It's no
    surprise to me that the League of Women Voters has recently come out
    strongly in favor of the diabolical ballot-less Touch Screen machines.

    And even less shocking was the role Antonin Scalia played so willingly in
    the selection of George W. Bush to office.

    * The Rise of Resistance/ Knowledge is Power* *"Ignorance is preferable
    to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than
    he who believes what is wrong." --- Thomas Jefferson*

    Thanks to the 2000 fiasco, election reform is now growing as a public
    battle cry . . . but who is leading the army? This is a question that
    every American has the responsibility to ask. Various individuals and
    groups are seeking to guide the reform process, including politicians,
    government officials, voting machine companies, computer experts,
    activists, and members of the elections establishment. It is very safe to
    assume they do not all mean well. Many have agendas of their own, some
    obvious, others hidden. Many are corrupt, others are ignorant.  And some,
    who have the very best interests of America at heart, are in the
    difficult position of having to make serious and potentially damaging
    compromises in their quest for safe elections, in order to push the issue
    in Washington.

    Before I explore this issue in more depth, I'd like to offer a brief list
    of important lessons learned from twenty-five years of fighting vote
    fraud in the trenches.

    1) If there is any conceivable way to tamper with or rig an election
    someone will attempt it. This includes average citizens as well as
    officials charged with protecting the process.

    2) Every voting system is open to tampering, but paper ballots counted in
    public are the easiest system to protect and monitor. (It's estimated
    that only 2% of Americans still vote on a hand-counted paper ballot).

    3) Secret vote counting is illegal. Remember : counting them faster is
    not a justification for counting them secretly.

    4) When machines began to take over our vote counting systems, election
    rigging became an exciting new national industry.

    5) Lever machines were the first to appear, and they were riggable in a
    number of ways. One could rig the lever machine itself, or, much more
    easily, the electronic scanning machines that counted the ballots. (See
    the Votescam video for footage of ballot rigging under the supervision of
    both parties and the Dade County Election Supervisor).

    6) Computerized voting machines are the easiest to rig. Their software is
    not open to public scrutiny, or the scrutiny of Election Supervisors
    (rendering their title meaningless). There are nearly infinite ways to
    program the machines to count votes fraudulently. Since they are
    accessible by modem, they can be controlled  from a remote, centralized
    location.

    7) Voting machine companies operate with no federal oversight,
    certification process, standards or restrictions. Controlling members of
    some of the most powerful voting machine corporations are convicted
    criminals, some are politicians with obvious conflicts of interests,
    others are not even American citizens. Just two companies -- Election
    Systems and Software (ES&S) and Diebold Voting Systems now control about
    80% of the vote count in the U.S.

    8) Vote fraud on a statewide and national scale is not possible without
    the complicity of (among others) corrupt Election Supervisors,
    Secretaries of State, Judges, voting machine corporations, and top
    officials of the major media outlets.

    9) Both the Democratic and Republican parties have been complicit in vote
    rigging for decades, to their mutual benefit. Vote rigging is NOT a
    partisan issue (though recent evidence suggests Republicans might be
    gaining the upper hand in the race to control our elections).

    10) The corporate major media networks play a vital role in perpetrating
    and covering up vote fraud. Media methods of vote rigging are explored in
    the Votescam book, including the role of Voter News Service (VNS).

    (VNS was a consortium of all the major media outlets. It recently closed
    up shop and scurried off into the shadows, but for decades, under two
    different corporate names, it controlled the compilation and
    dissemination of national vote totals, with the power to alter the
    reported results. The networks have actually not competed for vote
    totals, as they claim to have done, since 1965. They got all their
    numbers from VNS , which operated behind an iron curtain of secrecy. Any
    questions regarding their operation were met with the ubiquitous
    response: "This is not a proper area of inquiry." Most people erroneously
    thought they were simply a polling organization, though no evidence of
    their supposedly massive polling operation could be found by
    investigators). See my interview with Bill Headline, former head of VNS,
    at http://www.votescam.com/articles.html

    11) Election Day media polls are untrustworthy at best, and very likely
    fabricated to influence voter decisions and to support phony vote
    results.

    Now that I've provided the minimal context for understanding the current
    threats we face, we can begin to talk about strategies to win back the
    control of our government.

    Not all strategies currently on the table are acceptable. Do not take
    anyone's word on the reform that is needed. Do not cede your power to
    government officials and so-called experts any longer. Educate yourself.
    It's up to us, the American people, to decide what strategies to support,
    and our goal must not fall short of what will truly restore democracy to
    this sinking nation.

    * The Nuts and Bolts of Computerized Voting* The gravest error of
    judgment these days comes from those vote reformers who honestly believe
    that the answer to the butterfly ballot and hanging chad problems in the
    2000 election is to embrace the ballot-less computerized voting machine.

    Let's make this clear. These machines are 'nothing' but Trojan horses
    built by and for election thieves. With the ballot-less computer, there
    is no way to recount, no way to prove any discrepancy, inaccuracy or
    fraud. Just the fact that companies like ES&S, Diebold, and Sequoia would
    even /make/ a ballot-less machine should be cause for a Congressional
    investigation. (There are also many other reasons to investigate them.
    For a detailed examination of these sinister corporations, check out
    http://www.blackboxvoting.com.) That said, the next error of judgment
    comes from those who believe that all we need to make computerized voting
    machines safe is a paper receipt.

    Many intelligent, well-intentioned and hard working vote reformers are
    supporting *HR 2239, proposed by Rep. Rush Holt* (D-NJ), requiring all
    computerized voting machines to produce a receipt for each individual
    voter. While I support the effort that has gone into creating this bill,
    and I recognize the monumental struggle it will face in Congress, I am
    unable to support it at this time, for many reasons. The first of which
    is that, while calling much needed attention to the dangers of
    ballot-less machines, this legislation does not require actually
    hand-counting the receipts altogether in each election. Why is this a
    serious problem?

    First of all, individual receipts are meaningless. They're worth nothing
    if not counted altogether. A person's vote might be verified by the slip
    of paper, but that person has no idea whether the computer accurately
    tallied her vote along with all the other votes. The final count still
    takes place inside the infamous computerized "black box," beyond the
    reach of public scrutiny. An individual receipt in  'no way' guarantees
    the safety of the final vote count. It is at best a meaningless gesture
    that I am deeply afraid will provide an extremely false sense of security
    for voters.

    As for recounting disputed elections, the obvious question is, which
    ones? /Every election is in dispute when counted by a secretly
    programmed, modem-equipped computer!

    Most of the supporters of this bill agree that the receipts should be
    counted across the board in each election, which would be the equivalent
    of a good old-fashioned paper ballot count. But so far there is little
    incentive to demand that the provision be added because it won't get any
    support in Congress. What does this mean? Are we interested in actually
    making our elections safe, accurate and verifiable, or are we willing to
    play political ball to the point where we lose sight of our goal
    completely?

    I am told that perhaps, over time, the legislation will be strengthened.
    But history has repeatedly shown that as a bill makes its way through
    Washington channels, its effectiveness is more often than not watered
    down. Whatever teeth it might have to begin with get filed into nubs that
    have no strength to tear into corruption. HR 2239 proposes surprise
    "random" recounts, where a small percentage of jurisdictions are chosen
    for verification in each election. Unfortunately, this is completely
    inadequate. Individual machines can be manipulated, and election thieves
    can buy off the people in charge of the random recount. Anyone who thinks
    that is far fetched or impossible is very new to this issue.

    And what if discrepancies are found? Then everyone will call foul rightly
    so -- a glut of confused and disputed recounts will ensue, and the entire
    elections machine will become hopelessly tangled in its own mechanized
    parts. Meanwhile every election criminal in the country will descend like
    vultures on the chaos.

    Folks, let's look at this honestly. We are already deep into a horrible
    and expensive mess that could all be avoided by skipping the computerized
    middleman and /simply counting paper ballots.

    * Paper Ballots A Radical Idea*

    The last, and to my mind, most grave error of judgment comes from those
    who think that returning to a hand-counted paper ballot system is somehow
    impossible, that we can't go back to a simple process that works once
    we've stupidly and recklessly abandoned it. I don't know about you, but
    that strikes me as an extremely dangerous perspective.  An MIT/Cal Tech
    study done in 2001 shows that manually counted paper ballots are the most
    accurate system out of the 5 systems used in the last 4 presidential
    elections. They are totally verifiable, and first-world nations across
    the globe still use them, including Canada which counted their last
    presidential election in four hours. And yet I am told repeatedly by vote
    reformers that there is no hope of America ever returning to paper
    ballots because too much money has been spent on the machines, and
    because the public is being sold on their benefits. My argument is that
    the public must be immediately educated on their /dangers/ -- that should
    be the top priority of every serious vote reformer in the country.

    My argument is that we should /stop playing ball/ with these corrupt
    voting machine corporations and the sold-out government officials who
    support them.

    My argument is that we should remember we're Americans -- we don't ask
    for 'permission' to secure our own freedom. We should take these Trojan
    horses and burn them in the public square before our whole damn country
    crumbles before our eyes!

    But all this debate is misleading.

    The bottom line is that a computerized vote count is a secret vote count
    and that's illegal. Technology cannot supercede the constitutional and
    mandatory provisions of election law, which require open and verifiable
    elections. There is no way to do a public vote count with computers.

    Listen, here's my idea. After the public Touch-Screen bonfire (we really
    need more community minded events, don't you think?), we should march to
    our Secretary of State's office and demand the restoration of a
    hand-counted paper ballot system.

    (abridged)

    Hand counted paper ballots /and eternal vigilance/ are the only hope left
    for us. The corporate fascists are taking over, and we will never depose
    them non-violently as long as they control our elections.

    ###

    Victoria Collier , a long time writer and political activist, continues
    to educate the public on the subject of vote fraud in place of her father
    and uncle. She is the editor of http://www.votescam.com. She can be
    reached at 1-866-280-909 and editor@votescam.com