Re: virus: This is why moderates don't matter

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 10:31:26 MST

    [simul]
    If you do a search for secure, verifiable voting, you will find many
    articles on producing such systems.

    The electronic voting systems being produced today by private
    corporations are far, far worse than hand counted ballots. I do not
    think that this is a fault of conspiracy. I think this is a natural
    combination of poorly specified requirements and capitalist motivation
    to do as little work as necessary to satisfy those requirements.

    My argument, which I made in front of a panel of experts and which is
    endorsed by a majority of experts is that any electronic voting system
    must be open source and use a well-documented and decentralized
    protocol.

    [rhinoceros]
    Besides those who would try to compromise an e-voting system to their
    own benefit, the market also wants to have a say in that. I pointed at a
    couple of Salon articles a couple of months ago:

    http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29365

    Another case of electronic vote-tampering?
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/29/voting_machine_standards/index_np.html

    Voting into the void
    New touch-screen voting machines may look spiffy, but some experts say
    they can't be trusted.
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/11/05/voting_machines/

    <a sample snip from the first one>
    From its inception, the working group seems to have been heavily
    represented with people who, if they were not from the voting industry,
    were at least very sympathetic to the industry's views. Vincent Lipsio,
    an engineer from Gainesville, Fla., joined the group because he thought
    it might be fun to work on voting standards. He remembers attending an
    early meeting and suggesting to the group that the standard should
    require software on voting machines to be stored on internal read-only
    drives, rather than on a write-able media like CDs or memory cards.
    "Well, I remember this old guy stands up and says things like, 'Son,
    you've got to trust the voting officials,' and 'It's really not
    necessary to go to all these lengths to protect the machines.' The tone
    said that I was naive -- and almost everyone had that attitude."
    <end snip>