Re: virus: Zionism, Anti-Semitism and American Democracy

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 10:57:04 MST

    Erik Aronesty wrote:
    > "definition of faith that implies that the level of belief in a
    > proposition (the truth value assigned, or confidence, probability or
    > plausability level) is not supported by the evidence available"
    >
    > How much faith do you have in that definition?

    Using the aforementioned definition I have a high degree of confidence
    but very little faith that the definition corresponds to how I use the word.
    I have slightly less confidence and still very little faith that the
    definition corresponds to how most people here use it.

    The evidence available determines a certain level of confidence one
    should ideally have in the truth of a given proposition. Faith is the
    degree to which actual confidence differs from that ideal level.
    Does that make sense? I'll try to find a diagram I created a few years
    ago to illustrate the idea during a similar discussion on this list.

    David