Re: virus: Unpublished 1977 letter to Science

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 11:18:58 MST

    Keith Henson wrote:
    > Last night in chat I mentioned this letter.
    >
    > I had not thought about this for a long time. Science didn't
    > publish the letter. Dr. Hayflick wrote me asking for a copy of the
    > bamboo article. (I still have a copy of his letter.) After I wrote
    > it, someone pointed me to another source where someone had proposed
    > very close to the same rational for cell limits.

    This is the same Hayflick who is recently the subject of an article:
    "Everything in the universe ages ... why people believe they can somehow
    make themselves immortal and violate the fundamental laws of physics is
    beyond my understanding," said Hayflick, author of "How and Why We Age"
    (Ballantine Books, 1994). "I don't see any scenario that would benefit
    individuals or society in general by having the power to increase human
    longevity."

    That sentiment applies to his own.

    "My ideal goal is to live until the age of 100 and drop dead on my 100th
    birthday with full cognitive and physical abilities," confided the
    75-year-old past president of the Gerontological Society of America,
    who also is a founding member of the Council of the National Institute
    of Aging and professor of anatomy at the University of California,
    San Francisco, School of Medicine.

    http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20031124-034745-5824r