RE: virus: When Fish Fluoresce, Can Teenagers Be Far Behind?

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:47:06 MST

    Oo! Oo! A Transmet fan!

    I think that article was mainly expressing that same feeling, as in
    Transmet, where people do the craziest things just to do SOMEthing.
    Some of it is asinine but the feeling is that it's their life/body and
    their business.

    The thing is, here in the USA that's not the dominant philosophy. By
    law we can't kill ourselves, we can't drug ourselves, we can't have
    certain kinds of sex... It will take a good 60 years, IMO, for
    technology like this to be both feasable and legal (for humans - the
    fluorescing teenagers). I see a trend developing and then getting
    quashed by the FDA/EPA/plain old cops & judges and the stuff going
    underground.

    I do think the pet thing will be hard to quash and easy for the gov't to
    ignore. Perhaps the only legal response would be mandatory spay/neuter
    before pet is released to new owner. Humans do insist on taking
    liberties with other species.

    -Michelle