RE: virus: When Fish Fluoresce, Can Teenagers Be Far Behind?

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:00:27 MST

    This reminds me of the notion of buying "Traits" in Warren Ellis's
    Transmetropolitan. I have not been keeping up in these types of news updates
    as I would like, does anyone here think technology is as close to this level
    of "body customization" as the article seems to imply?

    I was always under the impression that genes like this had to be implanted
    into an embryo for the effects to take effect...
    Perhaps I'm wrong on this point.

    Still, the article's point about how modification of life is a basic human
    trait is quite valid. Domestication of animals I can understand, but why on
    earth did people breed the toy poodle? If such technology were released to
    the masses, what kinds of stupid things would they make?

    Maybe people might have some ideas here ;]

    Take care all :]
    -(A very sleep deprived) Calvin