virus: Must Read Article: The Bible and the Risen Ape

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan@limbicnutrition.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 11:23:53 MST

    The Bible and the Risen Ape
    Paul Monk on rethinking the religions of the Book
    http://www.austhink.org/monk/risen_ape.htm

    This is his new apostles creed extracted from this superb essay:

    I believe that all deities are idols of the mind,
    That blood sacrifices to them are an abomination,
    That dogmas are an obstacle to enlightenment.
    I believe in the plurality of worlds,
    But know of none that can compare with ours
    In its abundance of life.
    Of a kind that has arisen,
    Through countless changes and catastrophes,
    Out of the primal waters of the Earth,
    I acknowledge that I am of this world,
    Though a brief sojourner in it.
    I spring from it and pass back into it.
    I recognise that my existence,
    Both sentient body and sapient mind,
    Is possible only as being-in-the-world.
    Capable of mimesis, metaphor and music,
    Of reason and responsibility,
    I believe that I am neither fated nor predestined,
    But am able to live for possibilities
    And move intentionally toward a horizon that is open.

    --------

    Regards

    Jonathan