Re:virus: ImmInst Book Project

From: prometheus (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 09:20:29 MST

    Some Web references on Overpopulation.

    Cato Institute on Overpopulation
    http://www.cato.org/testimony/ct-ps720.html

    The Population Implosion?
    http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.8293/pub_detail.asp

    Is Human Population Really the Problem?
    http://www.jefflindsay.com/Overpop.shtml

    Social Implications of the human genome project (Extended longevity).
    http://www.ssn.flinders.edu.au/soci/staff/riaz/genomeproject/3.htm

    Nanotechnological Prolongevity: The Down Side
    http://www.cla.sc.edu/ENGL/faculty/berube/prolong.htm

    Should we extend the human lifespan indefinitely?
    http://www.biologyofhumanaging.com/sanjose/shouldwe/shld_nts.htm

    Overpopulation concerned groups.
    http://allfreeessays.com/student/free/Overpopulation.shtml

    Robert Bradbury addresses issues of Longevity including overpopulation.
    http://www.aeiveos.com/issues.html

    Welcome Baby Six Billion!
    http://www.rmfc.org/fs/fs0073.html

    Environmentalist debunks eco-scares
    http://www.free-market.net/forums/environment9906/messages/119269266.html

    A review of THE SKEPTICAL ENVIRONMENTALIST
    Measuring the Real State Of the World
    By Bjorn Lomborg

    Malthusian Twaddle
    Overpopulation fiction in the novel Ishmael http://www.reason.com/rb/rb072303.shtml
    Ronald Bailey

    Overpopulation web sites.
    Overpopulation.net
    http://www.overpopulation.net/

    Overpopulation.org http://www.overpopulation.org/
    In November 1991, Jacques-Yves Cousteau reportedly said, in response to an interviewer's question, "Some snakes, mosquitoes, and other animal species pose threats or dangers for humankind. Can they be eliminated like viruses that cause certain diseases?," Cousteau said:] "Getting rid of viruses is an admirable idea, but it raises enormous problems. In the first 1,400 years of the Christian era, population numbers were virtually stationary. Through epidemics, nature compensated for excess births by excess deaths. I talked about this problem with the director of the Egyptian Academy of Sciences. He told me that scientists were appalled to think that by the year 2080 the population of Egypt might reach 250 million. What should we do to eliminate suffering and disease? It's a wonderful idea but perhaps not altogether a beneficial one in the long run. If we try to implement it we may jeopardize the future of our species. It's terrible to have to say this. World population must be stabilized and to do that we must
     eliminate 350,000 people per day. This is so horrible to contemplate that we shouldn't even say it. But the general situation in which we are involved is lamentable." Bahgat Elnadi and Adel Rifaat, "Interview With Jacques-Yves Cousteau," The UNESCO Courier, November 1991, p. 13

    Overpopulation.com seems to take life extension as a given.
    Actually seems to be optimistic that we will be able to deal with the problems.
    www.overpopulation.com

    ----
    This message was posted by prometheus to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29782>