Re: virus: terraforming mars

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 18:40:51 MST

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Erik Aronesty wrote:

    > I wonder why we haveb't seeded the damn thing already. A solar powered
    > heater, a colony of bacteria sampled from deep-earth cores and from
    > Everest, and ebough food to last a Martian year doled out in cycles that
    > starve off 50 pct of the colony.
    >
    > Evolution man, they'll find a way of thriving... start the terraforming
    > for us.

    Efficient communication (of nutrids, movement of bacteria, etc)
    is key to evolution, and that implies a fluid or a liquid base
    that enables bacteria to swim around and multiply. Mars is pretty
    dry or too cold for liquid water.

    IMHO, if it could be terraformed, it would have terraformed already.

    Now, Jupiter's moon Europa, that one harbors big hopes of some form
    of life in it's deep waters.

    I seriously doubt that we will ever learn to communicate with it
    though, or just about as much as we can with whales or dolphins.

    I don't think undersea life would develop technological structures
    similar to ours. If it really needed the tools, life in our seas
    would have developed them already millions of years ago. Dolphins
    are plenty smart. In undersea life, primitive tools just aren't
    a benefit for survival and food gathering, or evolution. What tools,
    spikes and scissors or senses you have/need, you have by nature and
    evolution.

    And high tech equipment just doesn't pop up by itself.

    // Jei