virus: Singularitarians farked

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 07:46:21 MST

    Source: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=789629

    The reaction to the SFGate article http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/11/LVG1J459UE1.DTL has
    been generally hostile. Here's one of the more clever comments...

    [quote]
    You people make me sick!

    These men have a goal with their life. True, it's a goal that will end in Doom for us alll; but damn it, at least they know what
    they want. They're not afraid to reach for the stars. They're not afraid to shout at the world, "Look at me, World! One day my
    creation will destroy you!!"

    What are you doing with your life that comes close? How are you different from the guy who lives next door? Do you think that a
    hundred years from now your life will mean anything?

    This man's noble goal is that centuries from now, the small tribes of humans that manage to survive the destruction will read about
    him on crude sheets of thick leather. They will read the strange symbols written in mud and human waste, and they will raise their
    fists to the heavens and yell...

    "Damn you, Eliezer Yudkowsky, servent of the Devil! Why did you send this plague upon your fellow men!?"

    That is immortality, friends. Immortality like that of Alexander. Immortality, like that of the Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh, who is
    even now known as the God Osiris. Immortality that only comes from grand, world-changing acts.

    So I say; Bravo! Reach for the Stars, my friends. Reach for the Stars with cold mechanical hands.
    [/quote]