Re: virus: Singularitarians farked

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 08:14:14 MST

    David McFadzean wrote:
    > Source: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=789629
    >
    > The reaction to the SFGate article
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/11/LVG1J459UE1.DTL
    > has been generally hostile.

    Eliezer's response was pretty good:

    [quote]
    #1: You guys wait until you ever have the slightest tiniest little contact with the media and they take everything out of context
    and portray you however the feel like portraying you that day, and I am going to read your article when it gets farked and laugh
    like hell. I'm a nerd, for God's sake, what do I know about talking to the press?

    #2: Read the frickin' original sources! Nothing interesting ever gets through the Media Filter. Do you think that what you're
    reading is anything like what we're about? "Do you think that's information you're reading now?" If you've got a biatch about the
    Singularity Institute's online papers (http://singinst.org/) and feel like making fun of them, great, but if you do it from an
    article you're getting it secondhand and you know you're going to get it wrong. Okay, it's not like you have an infinite amount of
    time to spend on this. But the attitude on Fark right now is "Gondor has no clue, Gondor needs no clue!"

    #3: Making fun of someone who's just been reported on is not really all that much different from making fun of someone who's just
    been mugged. Another reason why, if you've got to make fun of something, take 30 seconds to grab something from an original source
    to make fun of.

    #4: Pomposity: Posting your intelligence percentile was shooting your own foot off in a conversation like this. Talk about pandering
    to the stereotype.

    #5: I suppose it's your own business whether or not you care about my sex life, but wouldn't you rather look at boobies than talk
    about whether or not someone else should have a girlfriend? Incidentally, I wasn't the one who brought it up to the reporter, but
    once she asked I had to be honest.

    #6: Academic types will probably be most interested in the paper "Levels of Organization in General Intelligence" at
    http://singinst.org/LOGI/.

    #7: We're going to try fairly hard not to build Skynet. And there is a lot to be said about that subject, from the evolutionary
    psychology of human emotions, to Bayesian decision theory, to prospect theory, and so on. If you are a techie and you say to
    yourself, "Okay, this time I'm not going to blow up the world" and you do your reading and put some effort into thinking
    technically, you find there's actually something you can do about it; it's not a matter of flipping a coin, closing your eyes and
    trusting to fate. (Although no matter how good you are, how much you know, or how carefully you plan, a roll of 18 is always a
    critical failure.)

    #8: Okay, visualize this. You're talking to a reporter and she says, "Well, what about your childhood?" You don't think that's
    relevant to anything you want to talk about, so you toss off some random thing like, "Oh, I had a pseudotraumatic childhood" and
    change the subject. The reporter thinks this is a snappy phrase so she finds an opportunity to use it in the article. This is how
    life works when you get interviewed. I would not begin to compare myself to anyone who actually did have a traumatic childhood, and
    I'm proud to say that my parents are nice people all the way.

    We now return you to your regularly scheduled uninformed mockery. Bring it on.
    [/quote]