virus: Life is not a game

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 10:42:33 MST

    Games have rules. Without rules, there is no game. You can take a game and add rules, and it's still a game. But no matter how many rules you add, it remains a game. However, if you were to add an infinite number of rules, it would cease to be a game. Certainly, it would be unplayable.

    We think there are rules in life. Science and philosophy attempt to uncoveer them. Like the law of gravity. Or that water expands when it freezes. These are some rules. We know that we don't know all the rules. Also, there may be some rules that we don't know that we don't know. Clearly, we don't know everthing we don't know. Perhaps there are some rules that are unknowable. Perhaps not. Still, since we don't yet know all the rules, we don't yet know whether life is a game.

    Another analysis

    War has no rules. You can create rules in war. But the enemy who exists without rules has a great advantage. Since war is part of life, then life, at least not entirely, is not a game.

    Love has no rules. If love is in your life, then your life is not a game. Likewise, brining love into your life allows you to exist without rules, giving you a great advantage over others who are constrained by them.