Re:virus: TEOTD (thought experiment of the day)

From: David Lucifer (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 19:31:32 MST

    [Lucifer]
    In answering the TEOTD you have to make some assumptions. I'm assuming that any message that I send back in time will significantly affect the timeline. If it isn't significant, and doesn't make a difference, then the opportunity is wasted. If the message is sent to a time before I was born, then my existence will be eliminated. If it is sent during my lifetime, then my life from the destination time of the message to now will be different, and my life from that point on will be lost. Therefore I want to send the message back to a time as recent as possible in order to lose as little as possible of my life.

    I considered sending myself stock price history data, but realized that winning lotto numbers would be a much easier way to get much wealthier in a relatively short time. I wouldn't be satisfied with just one lottery though, I would send back as many winning combinations as I could fit into the size limit of the message, probably a dozen or so. One winning lottery would be for me, and the rest would be for trusted friends and associates given on the condition that they donate half of their winnings to the Church of Virus at some later time to be determined. I figure we could get several hundred million dollars into Virus this way.

    ----
    This message was posted by David Lucifer to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=29854>