Re: virus: Fair trade?

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 10:33:22 MST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Erik Aronesty" <erik@zoneedit.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 11:18 AM

    > I say it's perfectly reasonable for consermers and the governments to
    > represent them to express their desire for more detailed labeling of products.
    >
    > Rather than mandating minimum prices, we can create a labeling requirement.
    >
    > "This product contains genetically modified organisms."
    >
    > "This product was manufactured using indentured servants."

    Wouldn't it be more efficient and make more sense for the sellers of the
    products to voluntarily add labels such as:

    "This product contains NO genetically modified organisms."
    "This product was NOT manufactured using indentured servants."

    If that is indeed a selling point, it should be worth it for the producers to do so
    without the need to spend public money on testing and monitoring all products in
    order to label them.

    In my local grocery store there is an entire section devoted to "biological"
    produce, which presumably means that it has a higher price because the farmers
    don't use (chemical) pesticides. Evidently there is a market for food labelled
    as such.

    BTW, only food caught in the wild is not "genetically modified" but that's
    another discussion.

    Lucifer