RE: virus: terrorising air passengers..

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 04:03:39 MST

    Mermaid
    Sent: 09 February 2004 09:51 AM
     <a
    href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/
    07/state2118EST0136.DTL">Pilot suggested passengers discuss Christianity
    during LA-to-New York flight </a>

    An American Airlines pilot flying passengers from Los Angeles to New
    York asked Christians on board to identify themselves and then suggested
    that non-Christian passengers discuss the faith with them, the airline
    confirmed Saturday.

    The pilot, whose identity was not released, had been making flight
    announcements before he asked that the Christians on board raise their
    hands, said American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner.

    Wagner said the pilot told airline officials he then suggested the other
    passengers use the flight time to talk to the Christians about their
    faith.

    The pilot later told passengers he himself would be available at the end
    of the flight to talk about his first announcement.

    Wagner said the airline was investigating the incident.

    "It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be
    appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job," he said.

    The pilot had just returned to work from a weeklong mission trip to
    Costa Rica, Wagner said.

    [Mermaid] And one wonders why air travel is so dangerous these days..

    [Blunderov]

    Truly fascinating! Does he have less of a right to speak his own mind
    freely if he is working for someone? Or is there always a sort of
    Faustian pact implicit in accepting employment?

    Without wishing to flog a rather weary horse, I cannot help but remember
    that Mussolini conceived of fascism as being strongly affiliated with
    big business. Is it possible that government can rely upon industry to
    undermine those rights of the citizenry that the government dare not
    molest?

    What if the pilot had made a political speech instead? If the airline
    had the power to forbid such a speech, would it not simultaneously have
    the power to insist that the pilot deliver a speech of the airlines own
    devising
    instead?

    I am beginning to suspect that we are in the grip of a terrible
    Frankenstein; since the end of the cold war it seems the only ideology
    left in the world is 'money'.

    Oh, and Islam.

    Best Regards

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2004 board on Church of
    Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid
    =29913>
    ---
    To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
    <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>