RE: virus: terrorising air passengers..

From: Eva-Lise Carlstrom (evalise@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 13:42:29 MST

    I think the pilot should lose his job, or at least be
    well chastized. Subjecting a captive audience, there
    for a practical and commercial purpose, to religious
    proselytizing without due warning was incredibly rude,
    inappropriate, and, in my opinion, memetically
    abusive. As others have noted, the passengers did not
    have the option to avoid the speech. Not only
    non-Christian passengers, but those Christian
    passengers who did not feel comfortable evangelizing,
    were put in a very awkward position.

    If an establishment advertises itself as religiously
    oriented, such as by, say, being a church, or by
    putting a cute little Jesus fish in their Yellow Pages
    ad, then I have no problem with their religious
    speech--I had warning and could choose to avoid their
    place of business.

    I was once on an Alaska Airlines flight and found a
    Christian prayer included with my dinner, complete
    with an invocation of "Our Lord Jesus". I felt
    creeped out and unwelcome, based on their assumption
    that I would be happy to participate in Christian
    practice just because I was on their plane. I wrote a
    letter of complaint to the airline. Please note that
    I would not have objected had I ordered the kosher
    meal (which I sometimes do) and found a Hebrew prayer.
     I'm not Jewish, but it's a reasonable conclusion to
    reach based on my ordering kosher.

    The pilot can do what he likes on his own time, but I
    don't want him telling me to seek Christ when I'm just
    there to fly to Denver, thanks.

    --Eva

    href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/