RE: virus: terrorising air passengers..

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 13:10:23 MST

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Jake Sapiens wrote:

    > > href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/
    > > 07/state2118EST0136.DTL">Pilot suggested passengers discuss Christianity
    > > during LA-to-New York flight </a>

    > I think the real problem lies in the fact that in this case there is a
    > captive audience whose lives are literally in the hands of the pilot, who
    > takes crass advantage of this situation to spout his religious program on
    > them. If he were doing the same thing in the airport terminal instead of
    > on the plane, it would be a much simpler issue for passengers to ignore him
    > and issues of free speech would more understandably take precedence. I
    > think that someone grown up in entirely different culture and religion
    > would find this situation downright intimidating, where American
    > non-Christians (Atheists, Jews, etc.) might just chalk it up as yet another
    > asinine instance among many. If this pilot can't stop himself from this
    > behavior, I think he should lose his job.

    Quite so. Imagine if Moslems of Buddhists or priests of
    any other religion started preaching in a similar way
    trying to convert people. They would be shouted quiet
    or thrown out of the plane.

    Criticizing preaching about christianity is almost as anathema
    as criticizing jews in america => earns you an immediate condemnation
    of anti-semitism and followed by demands for apologies. - Jews can do
    no wrong, and neither can the fundamentalist christians of America.