RE: virus: Re:terrorising air passengers..

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 13:18:51 MST

    In this country, and every country that has a tradition of free speech,
    jurisprudence has always recognized time place and manner restrictions on
    free speech. Indeed, I don't think you can successfully have a free
    society without respecting some restrictions like this. Here the pilot and
    the passengers are not in an equal situation. They are quite literally a
    captive audience. Even if I didn't like what the pilot was saying, I would
    still have to listen to him in the possibility that something he might say
    would have some relevance to my personal safety. To put his actions under
    the label of free speech is much more destructive than promoting of free
    speech. You can safely turn off the TV or radio, put down the newspaper or
    magazine, or walk away from or simply ignore a person trying to talk to you
    in an ordinary public place. Indeed airport terminals have been long
    judicially recognized as public places with wide free speech latitude. But
    the same does not hold true with the captive audience of a commercial pilot
    on his airline. I think either the airline or the FAA would be perfectly
    in line to forbid this kind of behavior, and I bet just about any court
    would not find this a violation of free speech.

    -Jake

    > ---
    > To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
    <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

    --- Jake Sapiens
    --- every1hz@earthlink.net