RE: virus: Re:terrorising air passengers..

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 15:06:25 MST

    Mermaid
    Sent: 10 February 2004 11:13 AM
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: RE: virus: Re:terrorising air passengers..

    [quote from: Blunderov on 2004-02-09 at 10:28:21] Yes I do believe I
    am. Unless they express opinions which militate against the venture that
    they have undertaken to foster, I can see no reason to preclude them
    from expressing themselves as they see fit.

    Presuming that the passengers were under no compulsion to comply with
    the pilot's suggestion, it is not clear to me that the pilot had harmed
    the airlines interests and, who knows, he may even have enhanced them.

    [Mermaid]Ok. Here is another example. What about a visit to your
    neighbourhood post office and the clerk behind the counter passes on
    religious literature(say..passages from the koran that she finds
    fascinating after her recent conversion) along with your book of stamps.
    You dont know her. You are not a moslem. She is not doing it in her free
    time, but slips it as its a splendid opportunity to spread her passion
    during her work hours.

    1.How would you react?

    2.How would someone who is not you react?

    3.How should the post office which pays her salary for her time spent
    behind the counter to do her job react?

    4.Do you also believe that stealing office stationery and supplies is
    alright?

    An employer pays an employee for his time and skill. One is hired for
    one's time and one's abilities to add value to the employer's raw
    resources. If a pilot's actions/words loses an airline customers, it
    most definitely interferes with the airline's ability to do business
    profitably. It is no more about rights, but it becomes an issue of
    abused resources by the employee. Just my two cents.

    [Blunderov] Yes well, I am having second thoughts. Jake's point about
    the captive audience is very salient.

    But to answer your questions...

    1. This sort of thing does happen to me quite often actually. Apparently
    my appearance is that of an obviously lost soul. Misdirected but
    redeemable you can see them thinking. (It used to work quite well in the
    mating game too; sadly, those days are probably gone forever.) But the
    post office clerk in your example would not offend me.

    2. Hard to say. I have never heard anyone complain about such a thing.
    Well maybe once. My daughter claimed to have a teacher of the 'born
    again' variety who was convinced that bar codes were the mark of the
    devil. Her credibility with the pupils was not enhanced by her frequent
    utterances to this effect.

    (It is just possible other people would be less inclined to be as
    gleeful at the sight of the faithful making idiots of themselves as I
    might be.)

    3. I suppose it depends where the post office is. Round these parts post
    offices, and indeed many other offices, frequently have little notices
    to effect that Jesus is a jolly good thing festooned about their
    workspaces. Often these blandishments are accompanied by pictures of
    fluffy kittens and rotund children. Sunsets too, are by no means
    uncommon in these tableux.

    (I have never been into an Islamic shop without there being at least one
    verse from the Koran, lavishly framed and prominently displayed. I think
    that perhaps you are not even allowed to have a shop if you do not have
    a blessing from the Islamic equivalent of the Beth Din but this is just
    a guess.)

    It seems to me that a postmaster might easily decide to let sleeping
    dogs lie. A thoughtful postmaster might conclude that comparatively
    little harm is being occasioned compared to the high dudgeon that might
    follow a ban. True, if there were any actual complaints he might feel
    compelled to have a reluctant word.

    4. With regard to office supplies and stationary I am proud to say that
    I do not think it is OK to steal them.

    Whether it is ethical to use the companies time to further ones own
    personal agenda is a horse of a different colour. In the case we are
    considering, the clerk passes on her message simultaneously with the
    book of stamps; it is not clear to me that, under these circumstances,
    she has embezzled any company time at all.

    But what if she did use some company time for her own purposes? For my
    part, the perfect postmaster would only concern himself as to whether
    she had completed the work required of her. To claim that she could, in
    theory, have accomplished more if she had devoted the whole of her
    attention to her task is, to my mind, insufficient. I think she could
    only reasonably be critcised on the basis of a concrete example of a
    shortcoming.

    I see that the French have ratified a ban on religious emblems and I do
    feel a bit conflicted about it.

    On the one hand I am happy to see religion driven a little further out
    of places of learning and on the other I can't help feeling that it is a
    bit oppressive to censor personal clothing.

    I would be much happier if everyone became persuaded by the sheer force
    of reason that they had no more need for these artifacts.

    Best Regards.