Re: virus: Re: virus: Déja vu All Over Again in Haiti

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 19:24:28 MST

    [Casey]
    Aristide has been in hot water over his election in 2000 because of
    voter fraud charges. During the period just prior to his second
    election in 2000, opposition groups protested and boycotted the
    elections, altogether. While he did garner 90% of the vote, the voter
    turn out was a measly 5%.

    [rhinoceros]
    http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/election.watch/americas/haiti1.html

    <begin quote>
    Presidential Candidate: Jean-Bertrand ARISTIDE
    Party: Lavalas Family Party (FL)
    Valid Votes Received: 2,632,534
    Percent of Valid Votes Received: 91.81%

    <snip>

    Population and number of registered voters:

    * Population: 6,867,995 (July 2000)
    * Number of registered voters: 3,668,049 (1995)
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros]
    What was the source of the 5% participation claim? Those elections were
    heavily monitored, although not up to par with the "age of the
    computer".

    [Casey]
    He's also been known to say some not so nice things, for example "The
    burning tyre, what a beautiful tool ... it smells good. And wherever you
    go, you want to smell it". This refers to an execution practice that
    gained popularity in South Africa, called "necklacing" - where a
    petrol-soaked tire is placed over a person's neck and set a flame.

    [rhinoceros]
    This does not sound good at all! What is the source of this?

    [Casey]
    Aristide, a former priest, has used violent rhetoric in the past to
    subjugate the people of Haiti. The aforementioned quote is clear
    evidence of his lacking human decency.

    [rhinoceros]
    This may well be so. But you should realize what this is without a
    credible source for the previous one.

    [Casey]
    Why should the US support such a man?

    [rhinoceros]
    Sure, they shouldn't support such a man. Although they often do.

    [Casey]
    Why should the US support a man who according to Gerard Pierre Charles,
    an opposition leader, has said "He succeeded in cloaking the country in
    terror". Charles, if you are unaware, had his home attacked by the
    Chimeres - the group that Aristide has armed. In fact, Charles has said,
    "He became worse than Duvalier". Tell me what is worse, having a leader
    like Aristide in power, or not?

    [rhinoceros]
    Wait a minute. Of course, no people should have a leader such as the one
    portrayed. But... "cloaking the country in terror". What was the country
    like without Aristide? A fairyland? It is understandable that Charles
    would be upset, having been targeted by paramilitaries, the ones siding
    with Aristide (I read Aristide disbanded the army after the 2000
    elections) but sympathy does not make Charles' arguments any more valid.

    Also, did you read Colin Powel's recent statements where he "dismissed"
    the rebel commanders who "triumphantly" entered Port-o-Prince? A good
    thing, since they have been reported as members of "death squads" in the
    past, but didn't Powel sound like an employer? I sincerely hope that the
    term "democratic opposition" in Haiti really amounts to something, but
    from what I have seen so far I am not sure it has anything to do with
    Bush's actions.

    Moreover, I keep reading accounts of American M-16s finding their way
    through Dominican Republic to the hands of Haitian paramilitaries of the
    opposition who roam the vilages recently. Is Colin going to tell them to
    disband?

    [Casey]
    Regardless of the accusations that Aristide has made regarding the
    so-called intervention by the US and France, I say Haiti is better off
    without him. In fact, so do the few Haitian mmigrants to the United
    States, with whom I've had the privilege of having discussed this topic.

    [rhinoceros]
    What do they see for Haiti's future? Any specific thoughts that you care
    to pass along?