RE: virus: Re: virus: Déja vu All Over Again in Haiti

From: Casey (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 09:36:01 MST

    It would now seem that, both, the US and France were a part of Aristide's ousting considering that Aristide made this claim yesterday. Aside from this assertion you've failed to note that in Aristide was returned to power in 1994 by US intervention and a negotiating team led by former Pres. Jimmy Carter after he was ousted by a military coup when he won the Presidential election in 1990. I think the US has offered him more than enough assistance in the past. Aristide has been in hot water over his election in 2000 because of voter fraud charges. During the period just prior to his second election in 2000, opposition groups protested and boycotted the elections, altogether. While he did garner 90% of the vote, the voter turn out was a measly 5%. He is not the savior of Haiti. In fact, he has supported the Chimeres - a political group that he armed that was formed by Aristide, himself. He's also been known to say some not so nice things, for example "The burning tyre, what a beautiful tool ...
     it smells good. And wherever you go, you want to smell it". This refers to an execution practice that gained popularity in South Africa, called "necklacing" - where a petrol-soaked tire is placed over a person's neck and set a flame. Aristide, a former priest, has used violent rhetoric in the past to subjugate the people of Haiti. The aforementioned quote is clear evidence of his lacking human decency. Why should the US support such a man? Why should the US support a man who according to Gerard Pierre Charles, an opposition leader, has said "He succeeded in cloaking the country in terror". Charles, if you are unaware, had his home attacked by the Chimeres - the group that Aristide has armed. In fact, Charles has said, "He became worse than Duvalier". Tell me what is worse, having a leader like Aristide in power, or not? Regardless of the accusations that Aristide has made regarding the so-called intervention by the US and France, I say Haiti is better off without him. In fact, so do the
    few Haitian mmigrants to the United States, with whom I've had the privilege of having discussed this topic.

    Kind regards,
    Casey

    ----
    This message was posted by Casey to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30001>