virus: ebooks - Is the Diamond Age any closer?

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 19:10:37 MST

    For those who didn't recognize the reference in the topic title (I didn't a few months ago), it was about "The Diamond Age" an amazing sci-fi novel by Neal Stephenson. A central theme in that novel was an electronic book updated in real time and guiding the steps of a little girl in life.

    Ebooks are an old story. Reference books, such as dictionaries and encyclopedias, in particular, already have the advantage over printed books. But novels in ebook form have failed so far to enter our bedroom.

    December 1998: Pricey device incorporates two facing LCD screens.
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9812/18/ebooks.idg/
    (IDG) -- An eBook maker this week showed off a prototype of what it calls "the world's first true electronic book." Everybook Inc.'s EB Dedicated Reader will be available in the spring for $1500.

    June 2001: Market squeezes out Everybook
    http://www.seyboldreports.com/ebooks/news/010612-everybook.html
    After several years struggling to simply get a marketable product out the door, Everybook has finally called it quits. The company originally attempted to develop a dedicated e-book reading device, but after nearly two years of launch delays, it eventually scrapped the entire idea in favor of a PDF-based reader and file organization application called DocAble

    Gemstar eBook devices are no longer for sale.
    http://www.gemstar-ebook.com/ebcontent/devices/default.asp

    Oh, well...
    Now, Sony is going to try their luck with portable ebooks too. They used two new technologies: A flexible active-matrix display (Philips) and an "electronic ink" front panel (E Ink). And Sony is no naive startup. Could they have something there?

    http://www.eink.com/news/releases/pr70.html
    Press Release
    First-generation electronic paper display from Philips, Sony and E-Ink to be used in new electronic reading device.

    Here are pictures of some flexible active-matrix displays from Philips' site
    http://www.extra.research.philips.com/pressmedia/pictures/displays_rolldisp.html

    Do you think they'll have to work on the smell of a book too? You know, smell is less understood than vision. Most physiologists believe that smell is based on the shape of the molecules, but they are not sure that it is all there is.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30084>