Re: virus: Aikido and Spirituality

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 20:30:08 MDT

    One limiting factor is the self-reinforcing nature of behavior. People who act dominant attract others who are sumbissive and thus reinforce the dominant behavior. People who act depressed cause others to shy away from them, enhancing their depression.

    Once our basic needs are met, we are no longer motivated by survival, so the survival instincts, themselves, fight for survival. We fear each other, and when we don't fear, we seek out fear. We go to movies and watch people dying so that we have more opportunity to fear. “Maybe my neighbor is some psycho!”

    Our natural state is one of struggle with the universe/nature, and without this struggle we struggle with ourselves. Without the pattern-breaking forces of nature, we are comsumed by pattern.

    A way to break this pattern is to see within it that it is self-destructive. It is, even, species-destructive.