RE: virus: The Rumsfeld wriggle.

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 18:08:04 MDT

    Hi B,

    I must say I agree with the general. A convention is something regarded as a
    normative example or a formal agreement between country leaders, politicians
    or states on a matter which involves them all.

    If the enemy does not hold to the convention, in fact flouts it, the
    convention is void. There is no agreement unless both parties agree.

    Sometimes conventions become obsolete or changes render them meaningless.
    Sometimes they need to be updated. In the case of the Geneva Conventions,
    the last of which was updated over 50 years ago, we may need some changes.

    Even under the current rules, we cannot know if the Geneva Conventions apply
    to the recently made famous prisoners or the Insurgents. After all they need
    to satisfy the following criteria:

    Those entitled to prisoner of war status include:

    4A(2) Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps,
    including those of organized resistance movements, provided that they fulfil
    the following conditions:

    (a) that of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;
    (b) that of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;
    (c) that of carrying arms openly;
    (d) that of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and
    customs of war.

    4A(3) Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government
    or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.
    4A(6) Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the
    enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without
    having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they
    carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war.

    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Geneva_Convention

    Furthermore the convention make it clear that signatories to the conventions
    are still bound by the conventions, until that is the "non-signatory no
    longer acts under the strictures of the convention".

    In my opinion this certainly frees Israel from it's obligations in its war
    against Palestinian and other Islamist terrorists. It also frees the United
    States of its obligation vis-à-vis the current Insurgents.

    The Geneva Conventions apply to those who respect them. This includes
    parties who discover and punish inevitable breeches within their ranks. It
    does not apply to the systematic and deliberate flouting of the conventions
    - especially by non-signatory against a signatory.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan