virus: Re:Banality of Evil and Digital Photography

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 08:15:21 MDT

    [rhinoceros] I am not an advocate of "having the last word", so I will leave my first reply stand or fall by its merit. There are only a couple of points I want to address.

    [Jonathan Davis] Klien paints a picture of a US where the Bush administration has devastated the hinterland, driving these poor dumb beasts to take refuge in the armed forces only to find themselves killed or arrested in Iraq.

    [rhinoceros] Do I have to post what Naomi Klein said for a third time? Where are the "dumb beasts" or anything to that effect?

    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=40&ItemID=5530rhin

    [Jonathan Davis] The current economic climate is largely inherited from 15 years of US political and fiscal policies. Also, until recently Bush was accused of distracting attention from the Economy with Iraq? Now that the Economy is growing again she charges him with the reverse!

    [rhinoceros] Everything is inherited from something in the past, but that hardly changes the economic results of the last years. A significant percentage of the American people I have met here in CoV found themselves kicked out of well-paid high-tech jobs, confirming what one can read all over the news. GDP indices prosper but more people are laid off and left behind.

    If you read Naomi Klein's article again (a brilliant one -- I don't always defend the articles I post) you will find that Bush's thumbs-up to economy is nothing more than a performance. He did not really deliver to the Americans any way to benefit. On the contrary, he told them that they need no special care because "America can". Did you notice the following?

    <quote>
    No wonder the President’s Economic Report in February floated the idea of reclassifying fast-food restaurants as factories. “When a fast-food restaurant sells a hamburger, for example, is it providing a ‘service’ or is it combining inputs to ‘manufacture’ a product?” the report asks.
    <end quote>

    [rhinoceros] And who is "the enemy" who beheads captives? Not the serial killer I just mentioned?

    [Jonathan] Who do you mean?

    [rhinoceros] That was in my immediately preceding sentence in my initial reply: "Why would I want to fight and defeat anyone in their home because of a shady Lebanese serial killer who is trying to cash-in the anger of the abused? -- and he may too."

    Al-Zarqawi, of course. The shady Lebanese.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30300>