RE: virus: Warning Signals

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 14:03:55 MDT

    rhinoceros
    Sent: 25 May 2004 12:21 AM
    [rhinoceros] Back in our own dark days here in Greece, I remember a
    friend was searched for "subversive books" when he went to do his
    military term and was commented when they found "The Good Soldier Sveik"
    by Jaroslav Hasek in his stuff. Hasek would have been happy to include
    this story of military intelligence in the book, like a
    mirror-in-a-mirror.

    Hey, they still sell that book!

    [Blunderov] Schweik is one of my all time favourites.

    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/The%20Good%20Soldier%20Schweik

    <excerpt>
    The Good Soldier Svejk (occasionally, Schweik or Schwejk, and with extended
    titles) is a world-famous unfinished novel written by Czech humorist
    Jaroslav Hašek in the early 1920s.The original Czech title of the work is
    Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války.

    The novel tells a story of the Czech soldier Švejk, a cheerful idiot who
    undermines the Austrian army's war effort with his sloppiness and
    simple-mindedness, and exploits every possible situation for his own good.

    The novel was never finished, because Hašek died in 1923 right in the middle
    of his work.

    "Švejkovat", "to švejk" has since become a common Czech word. "Švejking" is
    the method for surviving "švejkárna", which is a situation or institution of
    systemic absurdity requiring the employment of "švejking" for one to survive
    and remain untouched by it. </excerpt>
    <q>
    There was a magnificent legal staff, a mechanism such as is possessed by
    every state before its political, economic, and moral collapse.

    -Jaroslav Hasek
    The Good Soldier: Schweik</q>

    [Blunderov] A theme continued magnificently by Joseph Heller in 'Catch 22';

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684833395/102-6479799-9644133
    ?v=glance

    <q>
    Yossarian says, "You're talking about winning the war, and I am talking
    about winning the war and keeping alive."
    "Exactly," Clevinger snapped smugly. "And which do you think is more
    important?"
    "To whom?" Yossarian shot back. "It doesn't make a damn bit of difference
    who wins the war to someone who's dead."
    "I can't think of another attitude that could be depended upon to give
    greater comfort to the enemy."
    "The enemy," retorted Yossarian with weighted precision, "is anybody who's
    going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."</q>

    Best Regards