Re: virus: Warning Signals

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 16:20:35 MDT

    [Blunderov] Back in the old RSA apartheid days (it's so nice to be able
    to say that!) almost anything was OK just as long as it might be
    construed as fighting communism, however loosely. Any dissent on just
    about any subject at all was considered either 'communist' or indicative
    of communist leanings. (Atheism, as I'm sure you can imagine, was not
    appreciated at all.)

    [rhinoceros] Back in our own dark days here in Greece, I remember a
    friend was searched for "subversive books" when he went to do his
    military term and was commented when they found "The Good Soldier Sveik"
    by Jaroslav Hasek in his stuff. Hasek would have been happy to include
    this story of military intelligence in the book, like a
    mirror-in-a-mirror.

    Hey, they still sell that book!

    [Blunderov] The USA certainly needs inspired leadership ASAP. From what
    I've read, Kerry does not seem to be that man. Either.

    [rhinoceros] That's what I have come to understand too, but at times I
    think that even the mythical old school Republican isolationist wouldn't
    be such a bad deal for a while. Then they would be able to tell me "what
    we do is none of your business" and I would have either to shut up or to
    mutter something vague about solidarity.