RE: virus: Re:Leaded gas, racial differences, IQ, and crime

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 12:46:37 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
    rhinoceros
    Sent: 26 May 2004 18:59
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Re:Leaded gas, racial differences, IQ, and crime

    [rhinoceros]
    I can see why this hypothesis looks suspect: It does not cohere with the
    paradigms we usually follow when talking about matters of criminality and
    race (whatever that means). However, I have yet to see any "bad science" in
    the hypothesis. This is from the link posted above:

    <quote>
    Masters et al. stress that "neurotoxicity is only one cause among many, at
    most functioning as a catalyst which, in addition to poverty, social stress,
    alcohol or drug abuse, individual character, and other social factors,
    increases the likelihood that an individual will commit a violent crime."
    But reducing even this one risk among many is an important goal, they say,
    "given the extraordinary level of violence that persists in urban America
    and the failure of traditional policies to meet it."
    <end quote>

    [Jonathan 2] Sold. :-)

    Regareds

    Jonathan