Re:virus: Joe's complaint

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 12:19:54 MDT

    [Jonathan Davis]
    If we are discussing political issues then expect to encounter diverse views. If you are unhappy with diverse views, then petition the membership to consider closing the CoV membership to people who swear some sort of allegiance to a dogma or ideology.
    <snip>

    [rhinoceros]
    Jonatahan, that brings up a question. You don't really hold more moderate views than Joe Dees, at least to my own judgement. Sometimes you have even called for a final blow by the Israeli army which will bring peace in Palestine while Joe Dees argues for a "balanced view", at least as he sees it. Also, you never avoid a good fight. With this in mind, here is my question:

    The virians in Meridion have given you a respectable rating which makes your vote weigh 4 times more than a new member's. These same virians have given Joe Dees a rating which entitles him to only 1/10 of a vote. That's right. After 6(?) years of presence here, with many honors in "Best of Virus" and such, the Meridion equates 10 Joes with 1 newby.

    I was a bit amused when I saw Erik say "Joe says so because he doesn't know any better" the other day because Erik was, relatively speaking, a newby, but if you think of it this is what it has come to.

    My point is that the community perceives a big difference between you and Joe Dees which is not merely about a political position. This is a fact.

    I can not offer an authoritative interpretation, like political analysts do after elections, but I can tell you my own opinion. You are a member of this community who happens to hold a strong unpopular position, while Joe Deed is someone holding a strong unpopular position who wants to use this community. His humor posts, his science posts, almost everything he does is at the service of this obsession -- articles containing little jabs. Even when he posts something different he often uses it as a trading card. Of course, all this does not give the visitors of the BBS a fair picture of what CoV is.

    Your own interpretation of this observed difference in reputation between you and Joe Dees is welcome.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30377>