RE: virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 10:18:36 MDT

    [Jonathan Davis]
    <snip>
    I this forum, politically, we get a self-reinforcing cycle of anti-Bush and
    anti-War opining that whilst emboldening rabid anti-Semites bigots like Jei
    and spurring my esteemed fellows Jake and Kalkor to harsh claims, is mostly
    unbalanced and based on bunk.

    [Kalkor]
    Don't drag me into your war/antiwar argument please. You'll note that my
    post had nothing to do with this subject and everything to do with
    valid/invalid argument practices. In case you forgot, lemme quote myself
    again:

    [Previous quote]
    A personal attack on the author and subtle (haha) disdain for the poster.
    Oh, and a sarcastic jab implying the source wasn't popular enough. Yet
    nothing about the content? Hmmmmmm

    Kalkor

    [Which was in response to Joe Dees]
    Oh, great! Diplomatic, military and foreign policy wisdom from the
    touchy-feely Calafornia guru-ess - to - the - stars. And posted by Common
    Dreams, yet! I wonder how Znet and the Yellow News got scooped.

    [Kalkor]
    So what about my claim is harsh, exactly?

    You may also note that his next response, while he's off to a good start
    with the claim of insubstantiality, seems to be spearheaded by yet another
    attack on the author's style, person, and/or qualifications. In case you
    missed THAT too, here it is:

    [Joe Dees]
    I pooh-pooh'ed Ms. Williamson's Kum-Bay-Yah'ish plea because she has no
    qualifications beyond being an author of vaguely mystical self-affirmation
    books, and presents nothing more substantial than an anecdote as evidence.

    [Kalkor]
    I maintain that these are all still unsupported and invalid agruments in the
    context. Prove me wrong? Then you can use them in your arguments and be
    taken seriously. Continue to personally attack an author rather than
    rationally attack that which is written? In that case, we'll continue to
    think you're a kook. Or a raving lunatic. Just like you think she's a
    "touchy-feely Calafornia guru-ess - to - the - stars." and "Kum-Bay-Yah'ish"
    "author of vaguely mystical self-affirmation books".

    I haven't even bothered to read any of it, of course. I'm too busy being
    touch-feely in my real life and new agey guru-ish myself. Which of course is
    irrelevant to the argument I bring to this table, namely that it's ludicrous
    for you to expect us to take "your word" that an author is unqualified
    simply because you are able to call her names. (no one has provided
    compelling reasons for me to read it anyhow ;-})

    Kalkor