Re:virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 12:08:13 MDT

    On Thu, 6 May 2004, Joe Dees wrote:

    > She claims that we are hated by the Iraqis, who don't want what we have
    > to offer, even though the BBC poll expressly refutes her, pointing out
    > that most Iraqis want a constitutional democracy in Iraq, and wish the
    > US military to stay until the new government can provide security for
    > its land and peoples.
    >
    > As to who will emerge behind Sadr, no one will who wants to represent
    > the Iraqi Shi'ites, who are repudiating him en masse (led by Iraqi
    > Ayatollah Sistani, the #1 Shi'ite cleric) and killing his followers.
    > The dead-ender jihadist mindset of which she speaks is held by a small
    > and dwindling minority, whose temporary existence should not be used as
    > an excuse for abandoning the aspirations for freedom, democracy,
    > representative government and human rights held by 20+ million Iraqis.

    And from a source you respect, no less, Joe Dees.

    "The presence of military bases planted all over the country, staffed by
    tens of thousands of soldiers, would be like having a gun constantly
    pointed at any future Iraqi government's forehead, thereby preventing it
    from doing anything that would provoke the US into pulling the trigger.
    Lieutenant-Colonel Brennan Byrne, explaining their actions in Fallujah
    recently, summed it up best: "Diplomacy is just talk unless you have a
    credible force to back it up. People will bend to our will if they are
    afraid of us." As the cases of Guatemala, Nicaragua, Cuba, Iran, Grenada,
    etc show, the US has not shied from launching military interventions
    against governments that threaten its geo-economic interests in the form
    of invasion or covert operations. In Iraq, the soldiers will just have to
    march out of the bases."

    Whole article:

    // Jei

    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/FD30Ak01.html

    Iraq's future: Dreams and nightmares

    By Herbert Docena

    United Nations special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi was not alone as he went
    around Baghdad, just as the uprising against the coalition forces began
    some weeks ago. Robert Blackwill, Condoleezza Rice's deputy for Iraq at
    the National Security Council, was always by his side.

    Tasked to come up with a proposal for Iraq's political transition, Brahimi
    is now suggesting that come June 30, the United States should transfer
    power to a government headed by a prime minister, a president, and two
    vice presidents - all chosen by the United Nations, in consultation with
    the US and the US-hand-picked Iraqi Governing Council (IGC). No one was
    surprised when US President George W Bush - Blackwill's boss - later
    hailed Brahimi's proposal as "broadly acceptable to the Iraqi people" and
    among the people the UN will be "consulting" about Iraq's future leaders.

    Alongside the efforts to neutralize anti-occupation forces now rather than
    later, the Brahimi plan is the latest twist in the US's constantly
    evolving strategy to establish its permanent interests in Iraq. The
    original strategy was to stay on as direct occupying power for "as long as
    is necessary and not a day longer". That was eventually scrapped in favor
    of transferring "power" to a sovereign government by June 30, while
    remaining in control for as long as is necessary. Just before the outbreak
    of the uprising at the start of April, that plan had also become
    untenable. All that the US needs, for now, is to ensure that it can stay
    just one day more - in order to stay on for as long as is necessary.

    Plan A: There should be no illusions
    When the invading armies first set foot at Saddam Hussein's palace last
    April, they had no immediate plans to move out. In February, a month
    before the war, US State Under Secretary Marc Grossman said: "The United
    States is committed to stay as long as is necessary, but not a day more."
    Iraqi government, US officials could only give evasive answers and
    motherhood statements.

    Holding democratic elections to replace Saddam was not high in the
    priority list and, indeed, Secretary of State Colin Powell had earlier
    ridiculed the Iraqis' capacity for Jeffersonian democracy. "There is this
    sort of romantic notion that if Saddam Hussein got hit by a bus tomorrow,
    some Jeffersonian democrat is waiting in the wings to hold popular
    election [laughter]," Powell had said in the aftermath of the first Gulf
    War of 1991. "There should be no illusion about the nature of that country
    or its society."

    Going by its current foreign policy strategy around the world, the US was
    expected to implement its tried and tested "democracy promotion" program
    in Iraq, applying elements from its related experience of installing its
    brand of "democracy" in the Philippines, Nicaragua, Chile and Haiti, to
    name a few. But during the first months of the occupation, it was still
    unclear as to how exactly they would be pursuing such a project.

    By July, two months into the occupation, then press secretary Ari
    Fleischer was still saying: "We will stay as long as is necessary to get
    the job done and done well and done right, and not a day longer." On July
    13, the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) established the 25-member
    IGC, an interim Iraqi authority with limited powers and an indefinite
    life-span. Plans for any transfer of power, elections, or the writing of a
    constitution, remained vague and non-committal.

    By October, the biggest problems hobbling the US in Iraq had crystallized.
    First, it had become obvious that the violent and non-violent resistance
    to the occupation was growing stronger instead of dying. Coalition forces
    continued to be subjected to as many as 15 to 20 attacks daily. A leaked
    Central Intelligence Agency report indicated that more and more people
    were supporting the resistance. Second, the lack of international
    legitimacy for the occupation was hindering foreign governments from
    footing the human and financial costs of the occupation. One by one,
    requests for more troops were turned down, and attacks on coalition
    soldiers tested the willingness of the willing.

    Whatever we want to call ourselves
    By then, these mounting and inter-acting problems were threatening the
    viability of the occupation. If more GI blood were spilled, especially
    during the run-up to the US elections, then Bush's chances at a second
    presidency would be gravely imperiled. There would be little reason to
    have the troops fight tooth and nail to stay in the palace if they can't
    even claw their way into staying at the White House. With oil exports
    raking in less than expected revenues and without the necessary cover for
    foreign governments to give more grants or loans to Iraq, the money needed
    to finance the reconstruction bonanza would soon dry up. Moreover, despite
    the promise to turn Iraq's domestic market into a "capitalist dream" for
    multinational corporations, many were having nightmares about the
    possibility of their investments being expropriated by a subsequent
    government.

    On October 13, the US reluctantly tabled before the UN Security Council a
    new proposal requiring the IGC to present a plan for elections and a
    constitution before December 15. Despite this reassuring step, there was
    no certainty that the plan would automatically be adopted for it would
    still have to be approved by the US.

    A series of developments, however, would eventually push the US into a
    corner. In late October, a donors' conference held in Madrid to raise
    funds for Iraq's reconstruction turned out to be a massive flop, with much
    less in pledges than expected. The World Bank and the United Nations had
    estimated that up to US$56 billion would be required, but only $13 billion
    was raised. Then, on November 2, guerrillas shot down a helicopter,
    killing 16 soldiers in the deadliest single attack since the invasion. By
    then, more body bags had been sent home during the occupation than during
    the invasion itself.

    The establishment of the IGC was supposed to address some of these
    problems, but while expectations were not particularly high at the outset,
    by then, they had proven to be a big disappointment. They were supposed to
    be the Iraqis in front; and yet the Iraqis themselves could see who was
    calling the shots behind the scenes. A Gallup poll released in November
    reported that the majority of Iraqis recognized that the council was
    little more than an instrument of the occupying powers, with little power
    to defy the occupation authorities.

    Some council members accepted to sit on the council as a tactic in a
    double-game they were playing - one foot to tangle with the occupation
    authorities inside the council, another foot to fight them outside. More
    galling perhaps to those who put them in power was that some members had
    become increasingly public in their criticism of the very ideas closest to
    the Bush administration's heart.

    In the best of all possible occupations, the US would have wanted to stay
    on as the direct occupying power until it had enough time to establish the
    conditions in which it could transfer some power to a sovereign Iraqi
    government, while entrenching enough power for itself. Indeed, this was
    Plan A all along. But as one administration official had conceded by
    November: "The Iraqis won't tolerate us staying in power for that long.
    Whatever we want to call ourselves, we are an occupying army, and we just
    cannot stay in power for that long." Wracked by the unyielding resistance,
    troubled by dwindling finances and troop commitments, unable to calm the
    nerves of prospective investors, and worst, facing the prospect of
    electoral defeat at home, Plan B had to be formulated.

    In the second week of November, L Paul Bremer, chief administrator of the
    CPA, took an unscheduled flight from Baghdad to Washington for crisis
    talks in the White House. That was when the US's strategy was rewritten
    and a new one charted.

    Plan B: Levers of power
    The objectives of any alternative to staying on as direct occupying power
    were clear enough: to steal the thunder from the insurgents and the
    anti-occupation political forces, get international recognition to protect
    and finance the continuing occupation, and reassure the corporations that
    they would recoup their investments. For any of this to be attained,
    however, the US would have to give up a certain degree of control - a risk
    and a compromise they would not have taken unless they were pushed against
    the wall. Giving up partial control, however, was preferable to losing
    total control.

    Bremer flew back to Baghdad with the revised strategy. Shortly after his
    return, he convened the IGC and hammered out what would eventually be
    referred to as the "November 15 agreement", a step-by-step plan which the
    US claimed would effectively end the occupation. Sovereignty, Bremer said,
    would be bestowed on the Iraqis by June 30, 2004.

    If the plan fell into place, then Bush would have a fighting chance to
    extricate himself from his problems. To American voters, he would be able
    to vindicate his war by showcasing a newly independent Iraq. As IGC member
    and Pentagon charge Ahmed Chalabi explained: "The whole thing was set up
    so President Bush could come to the airport in October for a ceremony to
    congratulate the new Iraqi government. When you work backwards from that,
    you understand the dates the Americans were insisting on."

    To the international community, Bush would be able to parade a newly
    sovereign country, and in the process, get the international recognition
    that would legitimize the occupation and give them more leverage for
    demanding more money and troops. In addition, Bush would be able to cast
    off the label of Iraq as a colony and of the US as an empire.

    A successful "transition" would also allow the new government to be
    embraced as full members - and not just observers - of international
    organizations such as the Arab League and the World Trade Organization.
    More importantly, the installation of an internally recognized "sovereign
    government" is what investors bidding for Iraq's soon-to-be privatized
    state-owned enterprises - with dirt-cheap prices set by the US Agency for
    International Development (USAID) contractor BearingPoint - needed for
    their peace of mind.

    To Iraqis, Bush would be able to argue that he had liberated them and
    therefore sweep the rug from under the insurgents who doubted his motives.
    As a Pentagon official said: "The transfer of sovereignty clearly will
    have an impact on security because you rid yourself of the 'occupation'
    label. That is one of the claims that these so-called insurgents make;
    that they are under American occupation. So you remove that political
    claim from the ideological battle."

    Here lies the essential component of Plan B. While the label would be
    removed, the reality stays the same: it would still be an occupation.
    Tucked under the text of the November 15 agreements were enough safeguards
    to lock in US power over the subsequent transitional government and ensure
    that even after June 30, the US would - for all intents and purposes -
    still be calling the shots. As one senior White House official told the
    New York Times then: "We'll have more levers than you think, and maybe
    more than the Iraqis think."

    The voice of the people?
    Handing over power to any government that the Iraqis themselves chose was
    out of the question at the outset. There was obdurate aversion to the idea
    of holding general direct elections under the pretext that it was
    impossible given the situation. And yet the Ministry of Planning's Census
    Bureau chief attested in a report that an election would be possible as
    early as September 2004. The report was rejected by the Americans and, for
    some reason, did not get into the hands of the IGC members.

    Tom Carothers, director of the Democracy Project at the Carnegie Endowment
    for International Peace, explains why the occupation forces were horrified
    at the idea: "Beneath the new interest of the United States in bringing
    democracy to the Middle East is the central dilemma that the most
    powerful, popular movements are the ones that we are deeply uncomfortable
    with."

    Bremer himself revealed his discomfort at elections, saying: "I'm not
    opposed to it but I want to do it in a way that takes care of our concerns
    ... Elections that are held too early can be too destructive ... In a
    situation like this, if you start holding elections, the people who are
    rejectionists tend to win." A senior official of the CPA was more to the
    point when asked why elections couldn't be held soon enough: "There's not
    enough time for the moderates to organize." On the one hand, the US had
    seen the wisdom in Thomas Friedman's advice of having "more Americans out
    back and more Iraqis out front". But the US also needs to ensure that the
    Iraqis out front are the kind of Iraqis they want.

    What the US had in mind for taking care of its "concerns" and for giving
    enough time for the "moderates" to organize was the selection of Iraqis
    through caucuses in local councils whose members had been chosen and
    vetted by the military, assisted by USAID contractor Research Triangle
    Institute (RTI). Among the first contractors to arrive in Iraq after the
    war, RTI now has 215 expatriate and 1,400 local employees deployed all
    over Iraq to organize the non-rejectionists in fulfillment of its contract
    to "identify the most appropriate 'legitimate' and functional leaders."
    (The quotes around "legitimate" appear in the original text.)

    Looking for these "legitimate" leaders, RTI employees have been going
    around the country presiding over local council meetings and organizing
    "democracy training workshops" in which they exhort their fellow Iraqis to
    tell their neighbors to trust the occupation forces and to support their
    plans for them. In one such workshop, a participant asked: "What's the use
    of the elections? Everyone knows that the US will be appointing our
    leaders anyway." The RTI staff replied: "You must talk with people in your
    neighborhood and tell them this is not true. The new elections will be
    honest, democratic and free." She then addressed the participants, saying:
    "You must tell your neighbors to be patient. We were patient for 35 years.
    What is another one-and-a-half years, even if the situation now is very
    bad?"

    Complementing USAID and RTI efforts to build up the "moderates" and the
    non-rejectionists is the controversial National Endowment for Democracy
    (NED), a quasi-governmental agency that supports and funds political
    parties around the world. It can be safely assumed that the types of
    parties that the NED supports are the kind that the US would want to win
    the elections in Iraq. The NED has awarded grants to the International
    Republican Institute and the National Democratic Institute, and both
    organizations are now compiling a comprehensive database of political
    parties, establishing party offices, and conducting capacity-building
    workshops to jump-start party formations in the country and make sure they
    would be a force to reckon with come election time.

    Bases of insecurity
    The planned political transition will not give the over 100,000 soldiers
    stationed in Iraq some respite. They are not going to be transferred to
    the beaches of Diego Garcia just yet, but to 14 permanent military bases
    that the US is constructing all over Iraq. General Ricardo Sanchez, the US
    commander in Iraq, said unequivocally that the troops would remain in Iraq
    for at least "a couple more years". General Richard Myers, chair of the
    Joints Chiefs of Staff, was even more non-committal when pressed, saying:
    "I really do believe it's unknowable."

    Bremer's predecessor, General Jay Garner, has even expressed his hopes
    that the military presence should last for a century. Citing how the naval
    bases in the Philippines in the 1900s ensured "great presence in the
    Pacific" through to the 1990s, Garner said: "To me that's what Iraq is
    for, for the next few decades. We ought to have something there ... that
    gives us great presence in the Middle East. I think that's going to be
    necessary."

    To justify this arrangement legally, the November 15 agreement demanded
    the signing of a Status of Forces Agreement with the IGC by March 31,
    2004. Presented as the Iraqis' formal "invitation" for the US military to
    stay on in Iraq beyond June 30, the agreement is similar to those made by
    the US with many countries hosting US military bases and other forms of
    military presence. But while these treaties are normally negotiated with
    sovereign governments, in Iraq, as a top military official quoted by the
    Associated Press said: "At this point, we'd be negotiating with ourselves
    because we are the government."

    A crucial requirement for the US military to recede into the background is
    for Iraqi security forces to replace them at the frontlines. "They will
    take over the fight as we move back into the shadow, out of the cities," a
    Pentagon official explained. Over the months, the US has been busy
    training local security forces which will be placed under the command of
    an Iraqi Defense Ministry to be staffed by people personally handpicked by
    Bremer. The ministry would also still be under the control of the US
    military command. Putting the US military under Iraqi control would be
    laughed off by the US because as, Edward Walker, a former US ambassador to
    Egypt and Israel and president of Middle East Institute, said: "I don't
    see how we could expose our troops to decisions that are not in our
    control."

    The continuing presence of the US military and the establishment of an
    Iraqi security force under US command will severely constrain the choices
    and actions of any subsequent Iraqi government. As Richard Murphy, a
    Council on Foreign Relations analyst and former US ambassador to Saudi
    Arabia, put it: "We have fenced off one of the primary responsibilities of
    a sovereign government." Since neighboring countries' relationships with
    Iraq will inevitably be affected by the US's military presence in the
    country, Iraq's future foreign policy, for instance, may as well be set in
    stone. If a state is to be the only institution in a territory with the
    monopoly on the legitimate use of violence, then the notion of an Iraqi
    state will remain illusory even after June 30.

    The presence of military bases planted all over the country, staffed by
    tens of thousands of soldiers, would be like having a gun constantly
    pointed at any future Iraqi government's forehead, thereby preventing it
    from doing anything that would provoke the US into pulling the trigger.
    Lieutenant-Colonel Brennan Byrne, explaining their actions in Fallujah
    recently, summed it up best: "Diplomacy is just talk unless you have a
    credible force to back it up. People will bend to our will if they are
    afraid of us." As the cases of Guatemala, Nicaragua, Cuba, Iran, Grenada,
    etc show, the US has not shied from launching military interventions
    against governments that threaten its geo-economic interests in the form
    of invasion or covert operations. In Iraq, the soldiers will just have to
    march out of the bases.

    Shades of Nicaragua
    Finally, the US had hoped to secure its interests and lock in its power
    over the next government by putting in place the legal and institutional
    scaffolding for erecting its desired economic and political structure for
    Iraq. An army of bureaucrats and contractors has been toiling silently in
    the background to assemble the kind of bureaucracy that would implement
    the laws and policies that the US itself has been drafting and to
    establish the kind of "civil society" that would actively support or
    passively accept them.

    USAID, along with the State Department and the Pentagon, has been
    disbursing a portion of the United States' $18 billion budget to private
    contractors reconstructing Iraq's political and economic systems along
    lines favorable to US interests. BearingPoint, for example, has been
    contracted to create a pro-market neo-liberal government in Iraq.
    According to its contract, BearingPoint will "support those public and
    private institutions that shape and implement economic and financial
    policy, regulatory and legal reforms". It will also "recommend the best
    available options for economic growth in Iraq". As the contract makes it
    clear, the "best available options" could only be the neo-liberal policies
    of privatization, deregulation and liberalization applied in their most
    radical and uninhibited versions.

    BearingPoint has been drafting and enacting economic laws and regulations,
    building the capacity of relevant ministries, setting up "macroeconomic
    analysis" units in these ministries' offices, establishing a stock market,
    funding research institutes and universities, training and building a
    network of pro-market economists, and forming a "civil society" that would
    advocate neo-liberal policies by founding and supporting NGOs,
    professional associations, chambers of commerce, etc.

    Dozens of other contractors are doing similar work transforming various
    dimensions of Iraq's nascent (or remnant?) government, such as its
    educational, health, agricultural, and other policies. Many of these
    policies, as well as the work of these contractors, will be carried
    through even after the transition. That they still need time to finish
    their work is another important reason why there's no rush towards letting
    go.

    The levers of power will be operated from out of an embassy with, in the
    words of a ranking official, "the world's largest diplomatic mission with
    a significant amount of political weight". It will be headed by one very
    experienced man: John Negroponte, the controversial US ambassador to
    Honduras during the 1980s who played a key role in assisting the Contras'
    attempt to overthrow the Sandinista government in Nicaragua. Also working
    out of that embassy complex will be the largest Central Intelligence
    Agency station in the world, the biggest since the one in Saigon during
    the Vietnam War. As the ranking official said: "We're still here. We'll be
    paying a lot of attention and we'll have a lot of influence."

    The unraveling
    Despite frantic efforts to see the November 15 agreement through, however,
    by the end of March, Plan B was in shambles. Virtually all the steps of
    the November 15 agreement had been derailed.

    The agreement began unraveling as soon as it was born. From the beginning,
    it did not have the full backing of the US-installed IGC. Though it was
    eventually presented as having the IGC's approval, the US was actually
    forced to overrule a mutinous 24-0 vote within the council in favor of
    direct general elections. More decisive in foiling the US plans was the
    uncompromising opposition of Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani - Iraq's most
    influential political personality and the Shi'ite majority's de facto
    leader - to many of the agreement's provisions, as well as his
    uncompromising insistence on elections. On January 19, Sistani succeeded
    in mobilizing over 100,000 to march in Baghdad calling for free elections
    - the biggest protest in Iraq since the beginning of the occupation.

    The US was eventually forced to scrap the plan for the caucuses, but no
    concrete replacement was announced. By the end of March, with less than
    100 days to go before the scheduled bequeathal ceremonies, the US still
    had no idea as to whom it would turn over power and how they would be
    selected.

    The Transitional Administrative Law (TAL), or the interim constitution
    that was intended to be the basic legal framework that would govern the
    political transition, was also in tatters. It did not help that portions
    of it were written by American lawyers. Despite its ratification on March
    8, key political forces held deep reservations about its provisions, and
    many refused to accept it as a binding document. Sistani practically spat
    on the document, saying that in no way should it be seen as Iraq's basic
    law. He even refused to meet with Brahimi unless he explicitly agreed that
    the TAL would not be the starting point for any discussions on the
    political process. The document, which stipulates that all of the laws
    enacted by the occupation authorities would remain binding on the interim
    government and which places Iraq's security under military US command,
    would have legally justified the United States' continuing control over
    the country after the transfer. By the end of March, it had also been torn
    to pieces.

    And finally, the March 31 deadline for signing a Status of Forces-type
    agreement lapsed. The IGC - in a little-noticed but very significant act
    of defiance - had earlier refused to enter into any agreement, saying they
    did not have popular mandate. "We are not 100 percent accepted by the
    Iraqi people. We have not been elected. We do not want to draft an
    agreement that a new government would come in and change anyway,"
    explained Ghazi Ajil al-Yawar, an IGC member.

    A failed plan
    Just as the November 15 plan was crumbling, the situation it sought to
    address was deteriorating. There was simmering anger among Iraqis, even
    among the Shi'ite majority, as genuine relief at Saddam's ousting was
    gradually replaced by seething frustration and disappointment. The planned
    political transition, instead of defusing the pressure, served to further
    fan the suspicions of those who saw through the machinations. Patience was
    wearing thin. As Asaam al-Jarah, principal of Khadimiyah High School,
    said: "We lost faith in the Americans. Everybody was waiting for the
    transition, waiting and waiting. Then we saw the law was rubbish."

    A full year after the invasion, there was still no let-up in insurgent
    attacks against the coalition forces. On the contrary, tension seemed to
    be rising in certain areas that used to be quiet. In a distressing
    development for the US, the newly elected government of Spain had
    announced that it would soon be withdrawing its troops if command did not
    pass to the UN, and this was followed by similar hints from Poland and the
    Netherlands. Spanish troops have since left. Closer to home, the burning
    and mutilation of the bodies of four private security contractors in
    Fallujah caused an outrage in the US, further sapping domestic support for
    Bush and the occupation.

    With all the key components of Plan B subverted, the objectives of the
    revised US strategy could not be met. Without a selection process that
    would give the US a hand in determining the outcome, the US-favored
    "non-rejectionists" and "moderates" would have no way of assuming power.
    Without a constitution widely accepted as legitimate by key Iraqi
    constituencies, there would be no legal cover for keeping the US-enacted
    laws and policies in place and for justifying the US-imposed
    post-transition political structure. Without the Status of Forces
    agreement, there would be nothing to justify keeping the GIs in Iraq after
    the transfer of power.

    In other words, without a successful political transition - measured
    according to how well they served the United States' goals - the armed and
    unarmed resistance would keep growing and international support in the
    form of troops and finances would continue to be withheld. Without first
    resolving the problems that Plan B sought to address, the US would not be
    able to finally move on with its plans for securing what it went to war
    for in the first place.

    Ultimately, the political process hatched last November 15 collapsed
    because it failed to gain the express or tacit support of key sections of
    Iraqi society. The last thing that the US wants on June 30 is another IGC,
    another Iraqi authority without popular support, and therefore incapable
    of fronting for the US and carrying out its plans. As US Senator Carl
    Levin realized: "It is also true that if we restore sovereignty to an
    entity created by the United States that doesn't have the support of the
    Iraqi people and the international community, there could be even greater
    violence against our forces, including the possibility of civil war."

    Without removing the "occupation" label, the GIs would be fighting the
    same recurring battles. As one military officer said: "We can beat these
    guys and we're proving our resolve. But unless the political side keeps
    up, we'll have to do it again and again after July 1, and maybe in
    September and again next year and again and again."

    The US needs to install a governing body which will be perceived as
    sufficiently "sovereign" and "independent" to calm the Iraqis and satisfy
    the international community. The US has concluded that the only way left
    to secure the very interests its soldiers are dying and killing for - oil,
    markets and military bases in a strategic region - is to install a
    friendly government, structured to be independent in everything but the
    things that matter most to the US.

    However, the one vital ingredient for this plan to succeed - a certain
    degree of legitimacy of the US occupation - was the one thing that could
    not be clinched. Without it, the entire Plan B collapsed.

    The show must go on
    The outlines of Plan C are only now emerging, but it appears to consist of
    the following components.

    First, the show must go on. As expected, the US will not abandon its plans
    to organize some form of handover ceremonies on June 30. Many Iraqis
    collaborating with the US hinge their cooperation on the promise that
    something will indeed be transferred on that date. To renege on that is to
    turn them into potential recruits for the resistance. As Bush himself
    acknowledged: "Were the coalition to step back from the June 30 pledge,
    many Iraqis would question our intention and feel their hopes betrayed,
    and those in Iraq who trade in hatred and conspiracy theories would find a
    larger audience and gain an upper hand." Moreover, the pressure of US
    domestic electoral politics demands another lavish media opportunity akin
    to landing on a battleship in a flight suit, with the banner "Mission
    Accomplished" as the triumphant background.

    Second, having failed to secure adequate support from Iraqis for its
    designs, the US now hopes that a UN stamp of approval will be enough to
    eventually persuade them - and the international community - to accept the
    post-June 30 order. This explains the importance of Brahimi. It accounts
    for the decision of the US to toss its plans for the political process to
    the UN, saying that the UN will now take over the process. The US
    recognizes that it now depends, albeit reluctantly, on the UN for its
    plans to survive.

    This does not mean that Brahimi will be calling the shots. Brahimi's plan
    for the UN, the US and the IGC to handpick the members of the interim
    government provides the US more freedom for maneuvering and is arguably
    more undemocratic and nontransparent than the original US plan for local
    caucuses. It is certainly a very poor alternative to general direct
    elections. Though the final say on the selection will nominally rest with
    the UN - in a process that still has to be resolved - the US is expected
    to play a strong hand. It can be safely assumed that the US will move
    heaven and earth to prevent the appointment of any Iraqi who could
    potentially block its medium-term and long-term plans for Iraq. Too much
    is at stake for Bush's man Blackwill just to sit back and observe Brahimi.

    It is also significant that, from available information, there is no sign
    that the UN will force the US to abandon the arrangements it is now
    putting in place in Iraq as "levers" for wielding power. Even if an
    interim government formed by the UN and the US proves to be totally
    independent, it would be powerless surrounded by 14 military bases and
    130,000 US troops and imprisoned by a US-imposed legal, political and
    economic infrastructure.

    Right mistake at the right time
    Finally, if the armed resistance and the organized political opposition to
    US plans still refuse to accord the political transition the legitimacy it
    requires, then they will just have to be neutralized - now rather than
    later. If they can't be co-opted, then they'd have to be destroyed. It now
    appears that this is precisely what the US was hoping to achieve by
    cornering Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and his followers and, in the
    process, triggering an uprising it is now finding hard to contain.

    Rather than yet another tactical blunder, the decision to provoke a
    confrontation may have been a deliberate and well thought-out strategy
    that should be seen not just in terms of day-to-day military tactics, but
    in terms of larger political objectives. If it were a mistake, then it was
    the right mistake at the right time.

    For one, the order to clamp down on Muqtada came all the way from the top
    - odd if the target was to be subsequently belittled as fringe and
    marginal. There were no policy fissures or a break in the chain of
    command. The decision, confirms the Washington Post, had the blessings of
    the National Security Council (NSC) and the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
    It also had the full backing of senior Bush administration officials.

    That clamping down on Muqtada at this time would definitely set off a
    backlash was not lost on those who gave the green light. "Every time we
    talked with Baghdad about taking any action against [Muqtada] Sadr, we
    always talked about the need to have proper preparations in place to deal
    with a violent reaction," an official privy to discussions at the NSC and
    the JCS revealed. The chair of the JCS, General Richard Myers, admitted
    that the US was aware of the consequences of attacking Muqtada in a press
    briefing on April 7: "What contributed to this was our offensive action.
    We shut down his newspaper. We went after one of his lieutenants ... And
    it was not unanticipated or unexpected that we would see some resistance
    to that." However, the US could not have foreseen the broader consequences
    of what is now widely seen as a series of intentional provocations.

    If Muqtada and his militia were just a "band of thugs", as Bush described
    them, then why did the NSC consider him such a threat that they were
    compelled to tighten the noose around him? If the occupation authorities
    were fully apprised of the possible consequences of their actions, why
    would they risk provoking a full-scale confrontation? If the US really
    wanted to douse the backlash, then why did it proceed, even as the
    situation was worsening, to inflame passions further by threatening to
    arrest Muqtada? If the US really intended to restore calm, then why did it
    go on, even as the violence escalated, to launch full-blown operations
    against Fallujah and risk a two-front uprising? Having bombed a mosque and
    having killed over 600 Fallujah residents and scores of others in various
    cities; were they really expecting Iraqis to sit back and applaud?

    The last thing the US presumably needs would be an outbreak of violence
    when, with less than 100 days before the transfer of power and just a few
    more months before US elections, the image they would want to project is
    that of calm and stability. But the alternative to not doing anything in
    response to the circumstances seemed more dangerous. "What is the risk of
    not acting? What is the risk of turning our head and just ignoring the
    trouble," CPA spokesperson Dan Senor agonized. If the anti-occupation
    forces are left alone then they could grow stronger and more defiant and
    the US could end up really losing control.

    Drawing the lines
    Bush himself has said that cracking down on Muqtada was a necessary step
    towards the June 30 handover. As Senor explained: "We are focusing on
    confronting those distinct and, I would suggest, isolated elements that
    seek to derail the political process through the use of violence to
    advance their parochial interests. We're confronting that, and we want to
    return the process and give the process back to the Iraqi people, those
    Iraqi people who favor dialogue over force."

    It appears that the mission is to weed out all those forces antagonistic
    to the US now before they cause trouble later, to make them fight now
    while they're unprepared rather than later when they've had enough time to
    organize and strengthen their ranks. Muqtada's side, for instance, has
    said that they were at first unwilling to shoot back. "We didn't choose
    the time for the uprising. The occupation forces did," said Fuad Tarfi, a
    leading Muqtada follower.

    Indeed, while anti-occupation sentiment runs deep, the Iraqis are in
    general unprepared for another long war. They neither have the resources
    to jump into a long-running confrontation with the world's only
    superpower; a widely accepted political leadership to lead it; nor the
    organizational structures to sustain it. This does not mean they won't,
    especially if the US keeps pushing. But the act of resistance itself will
    be carrying with it its own dynamic. Having emerged from three decades of
    repression and fragmentation, it has not been and will still not be easy
    building consensus among the various disconnected political forces
    fighting the US. Despite this, efforts to build a united front and a
    political leadership are expected to intensify. But still, as one former
    colonel who took part in an uprising against Saddam in the 1990s and who
    is now spearheading efforts to build a broad coalition pushing for a
    political process independent from the US: "We want to fight the US at a
    time of our choosing."

    That is precisely what the US wants to forestall. The idea is to catch
    them while they're not ready, to make them use their bullets now, throw
    their grenades, and fire their mortars now so that they will have nothing
    later. "If we do not address these elements and these individuals and
    these organizations now," explained Senor, "we will rue the day because
    these organizations, these militia will rise up again another day and it
    is better to deal with them now than after June 30."

    The aim is to draw the lines. The current uprising is now forcing Iraqi
    political forces to choose sides before the day of reckoning comes. On the
    one hand, they may be unwilling to take on the might of the US. But on the
    other, they wouldn't also want to totally lose legitimacy later if the
    resistance prevails. Unfortunately for the US, as the strength, spread and
    spontaneity of the resistance suggest, many Iraqis are taking a gamble on
    history and supporting the resistance.

    A revolution?
    "What the Americans and the Iraqi Governing Council can't understand is
    that this is a revolution," said Sheik Anwar Hamed, a Shi'ite from Sadr
    City, but who is not a follower of Muqtada, in an interview. "Everyone is
    involved. Those who can't fight will give money. Those who can't give
    money will give medicine. Those who can't give medicine will give food.
    Those who can't give food will give blood," he explained, adding that this
    is not just about Muqtada now. The resistance, he says, has no chain of
    command, has no organizational structure, and has no recruitment process
    because everyone can join just by fighting back.

    "We are on a war footing now," conceded a senior military official in
    Baghdad. Indeed, the US is now confronting the most serious challenge yet
    to the occupation. This, says the Los Angeles Times, could well be the
    second war on Iraq - the only way to hang on for a day longer, in order to
    stay as long as is necessary. The first war, against Saddam, was a war of
    choice, an easy one because the former dictator had no popular support.
    Now, it is a war of necessity, and it could prove to be more difficult
    because, this time, it is a war against the Iraqi people. For Iraqis, it
    also seems like this could well be the war of liberation which the United
    States had always promised them.

    Herbert Docena is an analyst with Focus on the Global South, a
    Bangkok-based policy research institute. He was in Baghdad when the
    uprising broke out as researcher for the Iraq International Occupation
    Watch Center. He can be reached at herbert@focusweb.org.

    (Copyright 2004 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact
    content@atimes.com for information on our sales and syndication policies.)