Call for politeness (was: RE: virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq)

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 19:45:19 MDT

    Jei wrote:
    <<<
    And so? What about it? I don't fancy doing lots of work
    on history research for the sake of you people on this
    list. "Prove me this, prove me that, now tell me how
    great a country we are, and what all good things we have
    done, and oh by the way, you're an anti-semite for being critical, and you
    must hate america too! You boo boo!"
    - At best, I rate this list is as an amusement. Sometimes there's also some
    good links, but nowadays, it isn't even remotely constructive. Whatever I
    bother to post, I do either for fun, or the fact that I want to break some
    ballooning american ego-bubbles, knowing they will bark back as much as they
    can. - This list was good before the "religion/church" was started. After
    that, duh. - Some kind of american thing, these new age "religions"? How
    about a normal registered club instead?

    While I'm not a particularly active member of the Virus community, I still
    am a member, and am extremely aggrieved by this post. The *point* of Virus
    is to be a memetically engineered religion, and the community (in its better
    days) tends to digest news and hold philosophical discussions from a
    scientific/memetic perspective.

    The idea is to ask questions, view all things from a critical eye, and when
    making assertions, to be fucking prepared to defend them without throwing a
    fucking tantrum.

    While you may not like the political viewpoints of Jonathan and Joe, they
    have at least been somewhat *civil* and have been arguing within some range
    of intellectual discussion. Jonathan has been doing a particularly good job
    at this. And as for sources, sometimes they're just fucking inconsistend and
    there's not a goddamn thing anyone can do about it. Arguing about the
    validity of each other's sources gets pretty old and is remarkably
    ineffectual as far as things go.

    While it's all well and good that you see the list as amusement, there are
    others here who take it with a fair degree of seriousness and if you can't
    give us that, and you can't make an argument without reducing to some dogma
    (I don't care whose dogma it is) or throwing a fit, then the least you can
    fucking do is be civil.

    You may notice that I have not accused you of anything regarding the
    discussion at hand. I am keeping my political opinions to myself for now
    because contributing to this thread (which has been going on for about two
    years now) is not a productive end. I would however, like to stop opening up
    my mailbox and seeing a bunch of smart-assed sarcastic remarks from you in
    protest of engaging in actual discussion.

    I and, I am sure, many others would be very appreciative if you cut it out.

    Thank you.

    -Calvin