virus: US saved Europe in WWII?!?!

From: Nurgle (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 10:24:29 MDT

    I am getting fed up with this constant bollocks about the US intervention saving Europe during WW2. While it is true that the US did aid the war effort, it was not merely their presence that won the war.

    There are several things to consider, the most important of which is that Britain did major damage to the Nazi war machine prior to 1941, and destroyed all of Hitlers attempts to invade. The French terrorist movement (that's the current term for those fighting an occupation, isn't it?) did a lot of work to disrupt German lines of supply and communication, clearing the way for the _Allied_ liberation.

    Another thing to consider is that without US intervention, the war may never of happened in the first place. One of the primary reasons for Hitlers rise to power were to terms of the Treaty of Versille (sp?) [1], in which the US played a major role in creating the crippling economic sanctions which caused instabality in Germany prior to the rise of fascism.

    Yet another major issue is the arms race that developed between the US, UK and Japan in the 1920s. Fearing the strength of the British Navy (at that time the most powerful in the world), the US started building more and more warships. The British and the Japanese started to do the same, but the US could not afford to spend all that money on the project, so they created a treaty [2] limiting the size of ships and fleets, which they promptly ignored.

    The British Navy, however, scuttled a large portion of their ships (including some that were at the time would have outclassed the Bismark if they were still in service). Since Britain was the only nation capable of ensure that the Versille treaty was followed, this rendered enforcement unlikely.

    The point of this little rant is not to put down the US effort in WW2, but to put it into perspective. I'm sure that without US intervention, the war would have lasted longer, but it is a lie to claim that they single handidly "saved" us from Nazi occupation.

    They were merely part of a much larger effort.

    [1] Germany did not started WWI, but when the Archduke of Austria was assisinated in a Russia-promoted move for power, they had no chioce but to defend their allies.

    [2] I'm not sure the name of the treaty, or the year it was signed, but I *think* it may have been something like the Washington Treaty.

    ----
    This message was posted by Nurgle to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30273>