virus: Lemon Meringue Cyanide PI - Ping Mermaid/Yash

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 16:47:45 MST

[Hermit] The only issue raised by Yash in reply to this note which I
consider to deserve an answer - as it is supposedly a statement of fact
rather than of opinion - is the following assertion and summary:

[Yash] That's another example of wrong argumentation practices. I never even
evoked the ORIGIN of PI in all the preceding posts, let alone ADVOCATE any
supposed origin of it.

[Yash] It's a sure mark of feeble argumentation when one purposefully and
repeatedly misrepresents posts to fuel one's own biased viewpoints by
building argumentations ad refutations about points which were not even
raised previously and ascribing such points to the other party.

====

Hermit observes that while the conclusion is stipulated to be correct
(within logical if not grammatical boundaries), the question of which party
is guilty of misrepresentation and "wrong argumentation practices" [sic -
shudder] must be raised. Perhaps I should remind you:

<quote>
["RE: virus: Astronomy/maths tongue + Sarcasm++",Yash,Sat 2001-12-29 09:42]

[Yash] The same exists within the Vedic tradition whereby a small
four-sentence ode to Krishna, whose meaning is a prayer to him, in fact
stores the value of pi/10 to 32 decimal places when each syllable is
converted into its corresponding numerical value in the Vedic gematria
system. It is also said that this very verse contains a master-key to expand
the number of pi decimal values indefinitely (!?!).
</quote>

[Hermit] /me notes that this undoubtedly comprises a claim to a thorough
knowledge of PI [since refuted by me] by the supposed authors of this
alleged "gematria", and given that this claim to PI-knowledge predates any
other such claims [Refer
http://www-groups.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Pi_chronology.html]
it undoubtedly speaks to a supposed origin of PI - particularly when read
with the following exposition where the claim is made explicit:

<quote>
["RE: virus: Weird claims about PI - Ping Yash",Yash,Sat 2001-12-29 18:14]
[Yash] It's good you mention ancient Indian Mathematicians, because many of
the theorems supposedly ascribed as discoveries to Greek searches by the
obviously biased Occidental history books are in fact re-discoveries of
things found by Indian a few hundred years earlier.
</quote>

[Hermit] As already thoroughly argued and demonstrated, the claim put
forward by Yash speaks with forked tongue.

[Hermit] As it was Yash who raised this entire issue out of wholecloth, in
the context of advocating the use of "hidden messages", I do not think it
was inappropriate to refer to his words as advocacy.

[Hermit] Yash, if the unfortunate phrase "wrong argumentation practices"
apply to anyone, I suggest that you might make a more logical target than I
do. Q.E.D.

Hermit