virus: Kirk: Joe and a story for Kirk.

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 09:19:29 MST

[Kirk]Joe, Chime in here on this one. Yash is purporting the creation of a
language (Vedic math) to fit a previously constructed meme (Pi), such that
it can be proved that this language, through the meter of it's verse
mathematically proves the exsistance of some mystical fluffy-earred
white-bunniness of a GATOR BAIT proposal.

[Mermaid]Hmmm..Joe..what can I say about Joe...I would have never gotten
into this severe investigation that I conduct of every poster in COV if Joe
hadnt showed me that there is an emotional, tortured Joe and then there is a
rational, intelligent, witty and acedemic Joe. Joe gets all pink, moist and
excited only when it comes to emotional pinpricks...like Allie<impatiently>,
9/11<rightly>, Moslems<not justified>, Islam<understandably>, me<who knows
why..*giggle*..> etc...which was why it was important to slap Joe right
across the face sharply to arrest the hysteria. When rational people react
with panic, fear or extreme emotional distress without having the ability to
sit down and have one good, hearty cry, a slap across the face will calm
them down instantly. Its the next best thing to a great big hug.

[Mermaid]As far as Joe's acedemic input to this list is concerned, Joe has
never..NEVER...never EVER...gotten entangled into arguments or discussions
unless he is absolutely sure about what he is talking about...

Now the story...

[Mermaid]When I was younger, my mother taught me how to read our native
language. English was my language of medium. French was my second language
and Hindi was my third language.<yes, we had a third language> She was
appalled and disgusted that I didnt know my native tongue.<Eventually, I did
learn my native tongue for some 5 years..>So anyways..., I could speak it
very well, but couldnt write or read the language. She would sit me beside
her and spread all her books of fiction around us. She would teach me how to
spell and read the titles of her fiction collection. I digress. Anyways,
there was one particular title that I never forgot. Roughly translated it
means, "The crocodiles at the river's bank".

[Mermaid]Years later, I asked her about the book's title. The story is a
social drama and it narrates the lives of certain people and certain men.
These men, like crocodiles, lie low. They would be stone-still with
unblinking eyes...hardly bringing attention to themselves. They are the
breathing rocks which come to life at the right moment. They would wait
until someone walks close to them. They wouldnt move. Their eyes are
focussed on their subject. Unwavering concentration. Their presence will not
even be registered. They would wait until their victim is close enough for
them and when the time is right, they would grab them and drag them into the
water...in ONE BIG SNAP...She said...there are people in this world who
would scare you and make a lot of noise, unsettle you, disturb your
concentration but those arent the ones you should be protect yourself
against...for in their excitement they would probably hurt themselves
first...but look out for the crocodiles waiting at the river's bank...they
are silent and patient and they WILL get what they want...but they move only
when they feel a want...

[Mermaid]I suspect that Joe is like the crocodile. He will not bite until he
knows there is something to bite. Until then, he is only a breathing rock
here. Do not disturb him.

[Mermaid]A note: why wont you read my sources and try to understand why it
seems more like a mneumonic trick to me rather than blindly taking the line
that it has to be about evil religious heads or some mystical fluffy white
earred bunny? If you hold to some opinion, CONVINCE ME! I am open to it.
Everything I have read and what I have read is public knowledge by now has
led me to believe that irrespective of its title, vedic mathematics is about
numbers and memory ...not about gods and hidden codes.

[Mermaid]People were religious. People prayed in Sanskrit. People who built
sacrificial altars need to know the value of Pi, even if it was handed down
from the Sulbasutras which were earlier handed down from Babylonian sources.
To remember a value, they had to remember it and what easier way for
priests-mathematicians-creators of sacrificial altars to Gods to remember a
numerical value than a prayer to a diety? I have laid my reasoning, logic
and sources bare and naked on the table. You havent. Neither has
Hermit...despite his screeching, he hasnt.

[Mermaid]When was the last time someone held to an idea here purely because
of the merits of his sources and not depending on second hand conclusions?

[Mermaid]Has the inbreeding of ideas and intellectual incest in COV finally
resulted in permenant retardation and blindness?