RE: virus: Pi me!

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 14:39:34 MST

[Mermaid]"Currently the value of pi is known to 6.4 billion places."

Someone apparently thought it was important...why? who knows?!!! LOL...I
would attribute it to curiosity and the enigma of infinity.

<snip>

More I havent browsed yet...I wonder if there are patterns or
repetitions...it would definitely be interesting to study...

[Kalkor] That would certainly make it easier to memorize, if it had
recognizable patterns or repetitions. In fact, that's probably why Bill
said:

[Bill Roh]As for the memory thing, doesnt seem tough at all. I can play
dozens,
perhaps hundreds of songs, comprising thousands and thousands of notes,
by ear alone - and I am nothing compared to a true professional
musician. I have sat in ear training and repeated over 400 musical notes
in succession that I have only heard once or a few times, so I am sure
that some people, if practiced, should be able to rattle off such huge
numbers. Not impressive to me. What would be impressive is if the guy
was doing the math in his head instead or memorizing.

[Kalkor]The impressive thing about memorizing PI is that there do not appear
to be any patterns. It's all rote! This is where the discussion between Roly
and Yash interests me so greatly, as a spoken language created around
remembering important numbers or mathematical concepts might foster more
loose discussion of the fundamentals of mathematics and pattern by people
who didn't have to spend 7 years in college to learn the already existant
language of Mathematics.

;-}