virus: Mirror Neurons and Imitation Learning + Important things

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 17:37:24 MST

Joe, thanks for the article link
[http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/ramachandran/ramachandran_p1.html]. His
hypothesis seems eminently believable, although there is some information
that I think he is missing, and in the light of which, I think he will need
to rework his paper somewhat.
This is the fact that prior to approximately 120-130 kyears BCE we could not
have talked even if we had wanted to, as our throat/tongue structure would
not have allowed us to.
We do know that we developed our ability to speak somewhere around then
(from skull and jaw muscle anchorages), at the cost of becoming able to
choke - which suggests that being able to speak was one of the three most
costly selection processes we have indulged in.
And that also gives us the answer to the question of what is "most
important" to humans, as it was not until we learnt to communicate by speech
that we began a cycle of rapid development...

Regards

Hermit