RE: virus: How to handle lamers? What is off-topic? Ping Bodie

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 09:54:50 MST

Bodie wrote

"Maybe we should have a bigger discussion about this. I think we should
only kick people from the mailing list when it is the last possibly resort
and that person has been constantly abusive and destructive to the
memespace we have created. The recent discussions certainly fall in to
that catagory, and I would support kicking yash if that was what was
finally agreed. Also I would support some kind of voting system and we
would only kick a person if we had something like 90% agreement. I don't
really think a general majority would be a good idea."

Why do I have misgivings about establishing an excommunication protocol? It
would be consistent, it's true, with what I take to be one of the primal
social purposes of religion namely the enforcing of conventions pertaining
to behaviour, speech, thought, and role. But hold!

The delete button works for me and it could for you too!

And it permits the possibility of rehabilitation - the prodigal, chastened
by the twin forces of ostracism and rational thought, might return, in the
fullness of time, to the bosum of his family. Or not.

Regards

Blunderov