RE: virus: Hermitish thinking & personal motivations

From: Brian Phillips (deepbluehalo@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 14:35:09 MST

From: "Yash" <yashk2000@yahoo.com>

Quoth Yash
<Well no, you just didn't follow the thread from the beginning and you
probably have had a warped picture.>
  Pardon? How in the world did you infer I hadn't been watching
the thread from the beginning? An incorrect inference as it happens.
< In any case, please also see the
extracts of Ifrah's book in my earlier post if you're serious about the
history of mathematics and how a worldwide authority in the subject of the
history of mathematics also thinks there's some value in the encoding
schemes of the katapayadi system.>
  No one is arguing about the significance of Indian mathematics. It's
dating and the degree of New-Ageish tripe that is/is-not being
included with them that's the subject of the discussion.
  The history of mathmatics is not my cup of tea especially.
Neuroscience, cognitive science and the late Qing Dynasty
literati's physical culture is my "cup of tea". And money :)
  The closest I get to pondering the history of mathmatics
is analysis of physical movements patterned after
the apparent logical structures of premodern Chinese
"emblemology". Not at all what you are so interested in.

<And do not stop at reading Ruggiero's book, that's only nearly half-way
there. Most people wouldn't have assimilated this completely anyway. Also
get a book on Systems thinking. You may like McDermott and O'Connor's "The
Art of Systems Thinking" or Peter Senge's "The Fifth Discipline: The Art and
Practice of the Learning Organization" although the latter one is more
related to Management and Leadership in the enterprise.>

Duly noted. Keep in mind I have lots on my plate. If time permits.
Things are heating up. Lots of work to do.

<I also advise you to explore epistemology, belief systems and semiotics.
The
latter subject can be more efficiently explained to you by Joe Dees. Just
ask, he'll be glad to give you some pointers as he did previously to me in
October.>
  No offense but I am somewhat leery of epistemology and semiotics.
Most of the time these fields are mental masturbation. Better to walk the
circle and build up some leg strength IMHO. Or work on my GPA.

<From there, you can get a new outlook on theories and their evolutions. You
can put these into practise by viewing all religious vs science debates.
Also check out punctuated equilibria vs the gradualist school of
Neo-Darwinism.>
  Evolution is fascinating. This doesn't mean wasting time in pondering
all the dead ends however... or pondering historical studies of those
who pondered the dead ends. :)

<Especially interesting then, will be if you learn about Turchin and
Joslyn's
Meta-System Transition Theory and fit the evolutionary theories within that
framework.>
  I will google this but it doesn't sound real promising. Meta-frameworks
beyond frank aggressive recognition of one's own ignorance are a
wound bear trap about the ankles.
<To me, Systems Thinking gives you some method whereby you can explore some
more areas of the solution-space of the problem you are considering and
which traditional thinking enables you to cover only part of
[solution-space]>
 THIS sounds like hoey. And I'm someone who believes in ch'i the same way
I "believe" in personality. (That should tell you a great deal Yash..a very
great
deal).
<And for more interesting things, also see Objectivism, which arises from
the
works of Ayn Rand. It's quite interesting.>

Flawed. Get past her. Logical inconsistency, if pragmatically valuable.
Sortof like Ragnar Redbeard LOL.

<I know you're not being an asshole: you're just voicing your opinion and
you
seem to agree with what Hermit says. But if you really sought out
correctness, you'd see that many claims he gets worked up about were never
mentioned in my posts.>
  I disagree. And Hermit ain't a saint. But you're not a guru.
< It would have been clearer to you if you followed the
steps I advise above.>
  Hmm. Yash I don't mean to be an asshole but the patronizing
tone here needs some perspective.
 I commented on *Hermit's* thinking style. Not yours.
Now if you wish to understand where I am coming from
here you might reflect on the old country saying
"Don't tell meemaw how to cook grits."
< These are just opinions I have about things that
helped clarify my own ways of thinking - there's no pressure meant about you
doing the same.>
  Again. Whose thought patterns were such that I thought
there was something exceptional to learn from?
Yes..that's right guy.

<Not a single positive comment on the original idea of doing the same thing
in a new language, while at the same time saying he has no time to research
these subjects as the burden of proof lies with me, while at the same time
spending so much time trying to debunk some other things. In french, this is
called "mauvaise foi". Incidentally, literally translated, that means "bad
faith".>
  Bad form. Extending an arguement's minutae into another conversation.
Bad bad form.

<Oh and, never let any prejudice get in the way of your learning and
knowledge aquisition.

Regards,

Yash.>
  I would in turn suggest that esoteric thought is one of the most
profoundly addictive forms of mental masturbation. It should
always be tied to something very productive, preferably
physical, to avoid massive wasting of one's precious time.
That way if your esoteric speculations and discoveries prove
valueless (which they usually do) you will derive some concrete
benefit from the exercise, besides the stress-relief of the
cognitive jerk-off/relaxation cycle.

have a nice day,
brian

BIG PS: Could there be a bit more effort by all and sundry
to SNIP as much as possible. I simply don't have time to
do more than read the digest and it is VERY timeconsuming.