Re: virus: racist symbols

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 09:26:10 MST

[Dylan Sunter]
A good example of this is the US based Anti Defamation League <snip>
They have even complied a list of Graphic and even numerical symbols of
racism. [http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default.htm]

[ben]
Having done some research on the subject years past, I can tell you with all
certainty that hate groups do use seemingly innocuous phrases and symbols as
everything from signs of membership to self-congratulatory reaffirmations of
beleif.
This includes such 'trivialities' as what color laces, suspenders or jacket
one wears, and phrases like '14 words' - things that can be worn or said in
public without raising suspicion, but will be instantly recognized by other
members. I've seen fights (short ones) break out between skins and hippies
over the 'proper' symbology of '420'. The resource may seem laughable, but
much of the findings are corroborated by my own experiences. (Since I can't
provide a URL to my life 10 years ago, I guess the above will have to remain
an unproven assertion.)

[ben]
I don't see why this would be considered any less likely than bikers using
the '1%' symbol, or Christians using the cross for that matter. Humans have
an ingrained aptitude for symbolizing common bonds via shared icons.

[ben]
OTOH, the ADL is, in my opinion, a bunch of nutters. And in today's
terrified PC culture, one with a dangerous social weapon in their hands.

-ben