Re: Re:virus: Announcing the Virus BBS

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 16:53:43 MST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mermaid" <britannica@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 2:01 PM

> re locks, will CoV mailing list be moderated as defined
here-->[url]http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/YaBBHelp/modact.html[/url]

That page lists moderator abilities. Whether and how they will be used
remains to be seen.

> re sticky topics, its about order in which it was recd and not about
content. Did I get that one right?

It is more about display order. I'll post a sticky topic to the test area
because sometimes it is easier to see than explain.

> [*]Replies made through the board to CoV mailing list wont necessarily
reach the mailing list member\'s inbox? But the opposite is true. Am I
wrong?

That was true until just a couple hours ago. Now all replies to the Virus
2002 board will be sent to the list. However, if I interpret Kirk's comment
re: CNN correctly, replies to the list sent from email clients are a lot
more readable (which is why I'm replying this way rather than from the BBS).
If there is enough demand in the future I could change the BBS code to
"clean up" the BBS message before it gets sent out to the list.

> [*]The \'sticky topic\' feature ensures that a reply to a topic posted a
couple of months ago will not be lost as it will turn up at the top of the
board. Did I understand that right?

A new reply will always send the topic to the top (except for sticky topics
which are always at the top).

> [*]Is there a feature that announces how many new messages have been
posted since the last login?

No, but it there is enough interest I could probably implement it.

> [*]Ikon Board also has a feature that hides members names who wish to
remain anonymous. Can we have that here too...:)

I deliberately disabled the feature that allows (anonymous) guests to post
messages. Given that you can hide your email address and change your display
name to whatever you want, is that anonymous enough?

David