Re:virus: purely metaphysical

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 01:37:41 MST

[Dr Sebby 1]
[Hermit 2]

[Hermit 2] Not wanting to spoil anybodies fun, but in the interests of technical accuracy, I would like to mention a few things based on the consensus model of the cosmos.

[Dr Sebby 1]....i\'ve gone on about the sebby universe(tm) before, but in a nutshell:

[Hermit 2] And it has been mentioned before that it is also a very irrational, albeit Very Sebby[sup](tm)[/sup] universe :-)

[Dr Sebby 1] the universe never began, and will never \'end\'.

[Hermit] The Universe we live in, UTVSU (unlike the Very Sebby[sup](tm)[/sup] universe), almost certainly began with a big bang. We become more and more certain of this as we learn more about the Universe at both the cosmic and quantum levels and see signs of it everywhere - particularly in the background radiation. We even have pictures taken of it as a baby, see, e.g [url]http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=11629[/url]. We also are fairly certain that our Universe will eventually end, sometime around 200 billion years from now, because once all matter has converted back to energy, space-time will cease to exist.

[Dr Sebby 1] it is irrational in these regards just as mass is irrational in it\'s quantity, and infinite smallness of structure.

[Hermit 2] Our Universe, UTVSU, is rational, and does not have an infinitely small structure, being limited at the low end by the Planck limit, and at the high end by the speed of light (i.e. it cannot be much larger than 30 billion light years around).

[Dr Sebby 1] \"time\" as a thing or quality doesnt really \"exist\" either...it is merely a means of expressing & measuring causality.

[Hermit 2] In our Universe, UTVSU, time is part and parcel of space. The one is quite meaningless without the other.

[Dr Sebby 1] it isnt possible to grasp such ideas with our finite human brain, but it permits a perfectly \"balanced\" system in its wake due to the fact that by such a foundation in irrationality, perfect balance may actually be attained since \"both sides of the seesaw are infinite\". only by such an irrational structure can the limitless universe exist as it does...otherwise, a creation point must exist...opening the door for questions such as \'how\' or \'why\'...which is what religion feeds on.

[Hermit 2] Fortunately, our Universe, UTVSU is capable of being understood - and undoubtedly is not \"limitless\". I do however agree that the VSU passes all understanding.

[Hermit 2] Finally, I will mention that science derives theories from observation and that the scientific method is in fact founded on the rationally indisputable fact that the Universe and we exist - such that theories as to how our Universe functions can be invalidated through communicable, repeatable experience. So far we have not met any exceptions to this rule, and not for want of trying. Which suggests that at least in our Universe (UTVSU), sufficiently non-random patterns exist to allow us to develop extremely reliable falsifiable hypothesii as to how it works. A search in our archives for \"Sebby Universe\" will turn up a wealth of such analyses and models.

Kindest Regards

Hermit

----
This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11635>