Re: virus: purely metaphysical

From: athe nonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 13:25:37 MST

--- Bill Roh <billroh@churchofvirus.com> wrote:
>I take exception with only one point. To me, proof of their origins in the minds of man IS proof that they do not exist.
>
>That seems to me to be the stickiing point between us. Proof of man's creation of gods is evidence that they do not exist.
>
>Why do you think that it is not evidence?
>
>Bill
>
>athenonrex wrote:
it is evidence that the god(s) of any given religion (or cult, as i
like to call them) is non existant. but it is not evidence that there
are no beings out there somewhere in the universe that possess
qualities that the average human would concider "god like." if,
by whatever chance, there is beings out there that fit our "concept"
of god(s), would it not be fitting to call them gods? but, we have no
proof that they exist. we also have no proof that they don't exist.

as to your arguement that "proof of their origins [god(s)] in the minds
of man IS proof that they do not exist." lot's of things have their
origins in the mind of man. take for example, language. every language
spoken by humans was initiated by man, refined by man and therefore
has it's origins in the minds of men. is it any less real because of
this? if so, how are we communicating? just because man can dream up
some far fetched idea, doesn't automaticly mean that far fetched ideas
are fallicies, does it?

the existance of god(s) cannot be proven either way. and the most
terrifying thing to me is not, "what happens if there is a god, and he
will punish me when i die for speaking poorly of him?" but rather the
masses of innocent people that will find out the hard way (or the easy
way, it depends on your perspective) wheather or not there is a god,
only because other people cannot seem to resolve this arguement.