Re: virus: purely metaphysical

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 15:21:45 MST

> >athenonrex wrote:
> it is evidence that the god(s) of any given religion (or cult, as i
> like to call them) is non existant. but it is not evidence that there
> are no beings out there somewhere in the universe that possess
> qualities that the average human would concider "god like." if,
> by whatever chance, there is beings out there that fit our "concept"
> of god(s), would it not be fitting to call them gods? but, we have no
> proof that they exist. we also have no proof that they don't exist.
>
> as to your arguement that "proof of their origins [god(s)] in the minds
> of man IS proof that they do not exist." lot's of things have their
> origins in the mind of man. take for example, language. every language
> spoken by humans was initiated by man, refined by man and therefore
> has it's origins in the minds of men. is it any less real because of
> this? if so, how are we communicating? just because man can dream up
> some far fetched idea, doesn't automaticly mean that far fetched ideas
> are fallicies, does it?

This is true, but you are forgetting our previous posts on the subject. Language is patterns, patterns exist of detectable bits
in time. God is like this type of invention - existing only as man made patterns. This proves that god exists as an idea, but
proves no more than that. Language is not a physical thing - neither is god. They are not tangible

> the existance of god(s) cannot be proven either way. and the most
> terrifying thing to me is not, "what happens if there is a god, and he
> will punish me when i die for speaking poorly of him?" but rather the
> masses of innocent people that will find out the hard way (or the easy
> way, it depends on your perspective) wheather or not there is a god,
> only because other people cannot seem to resolve this arguement.

This depends soley on how you define god. God, as described by man, connot exist without breaking proven laws of the space we
live in. I know of no "god" notion that works with what we know to be true about the Universe around us. You keep saying that
the existence of god cannot be proven either way. I think that it is more likely - and just stop and think about it for a
while, that you have god issues that you cannot put to bed becasue you WANT there to be a god. Some bit of you keeps avoiding
the reality that god is, like language, an invention of man. Visualize in your mind that there is a very real seperation
between what man makes up and exists in the world of ideas, and what man discovers through the scientific process to be true
about the universe around him. I know of no case where an idea went to physicality without the act of invention.

Bill