RE: virus: purely metaphysical

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 01:21:11 MST

> >athenonrex wrote:

"what happens if there is a god, and he
will punish me when i die for speaking poorly of him?"

[Blunderov]
I would assume that any god(s) that conferred a semblance of free will on
his creation would be happy with whatever expression of that free will his
creation produced. To punish his creation for doing precisely what he was
invited to do would be the moral equivalent of pulling the wings off flies;
an arbitrary cruelty. Such a god could not be considered either good or
trustworthy, to say the least, and his creation would be reasonable to
assume that, no matter what he did, he would be probably be fucked over.

(Tangentially, kharin in a previous (very well written and happily received)
post mentioned that the Pope has suggested that the devil is to be
understood as a "metaphorical force" rather than literal entity. I wonder
how the Pope imagines that this solves the theological pickle in which he
finds himself? Even if the devil exists only, ala quantum physics "in
potential", he would still have an effect within god's supposed realm,
leaving the fatal Christian dichotomy still unresolved.)

Warm regards,

Blunderov.