Re: virus: purely metaphysical

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 17:44:33 MST

OK, now I want to play! (I must disclaim that I am under the influence of
Jeff Buckley at the moment, and thus feeling very loving and charitable)

athe has a lovely point here and that's the possibility that god is outside
the laws that we know. It's really such a fine point, trying to
prove/disprove god - there's always going to be a "what if" fine point that
negates the whole argument. But perhaps the majesty and the appeal of gods
is that they are _not_ bound by our constraints (gravity, mortality,
physical needs). I ascribe to no particular belief but I find the Einstein
quote to sum it up nicely

<dig, dig>

"To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself
as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties
can comprehend only in their most primitive forms -- this knowledge, this
feeling, is at the center of true religiousness."

Now, really, doesn't this apply to any man-made, man-invented or even
truly-existing entity/object/place/force, not just the <insert religion>
God, and isn't it all really about that feeling, that humility before that
which is beyond us - be it lightning, the stars, the possibility of alien
intelligence, or the depth of a love that inspires it? Whatever moves you?
What is impenetrable to us DOES exist - meaning, things exist which are
impenetrable to us. (At least for now. And if it's impenetrable, who gets
to decide what to call it?) The humility that comes with knowing _that_
seems to be the real payoff of religion. Letting go and letting god seems
like the same feeling as letting go and letting quantum mechanics when you
don't know quantum mechanics - it's all about allowing the existence of
mystery, and you either DO or you DON'T.