Re:virus: purely metaphysical

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 18:31:32 MST

[Blunderov] Today I had the happy experience of having the scales fall from my eyes. The agency of this damascene revelation was a book, perhaps one already well known to virians, \\The dancing wu li masters (An overview of the new physics) Gary Zukav, Rider and Company/ Hutchinson & Co. (Publishers) Ltd, First published 1979, ISBN 0 09 139400 7 cased, 0 09 1394901 5 paper)

[rhinoceros] Could be... My only problem is that when I am about to read a book on contemporary physics with no mathematics, the first thing I check is whether the author could use mathematics if he wanted to. And it does not seem to be the case here...

[Blunderov] Quote from the book: Photons do not exist by themselves. -- All that exists by itself is an unbroken wholeness -- that presents itself to us as webs (more patterns) of relations. Individual entities are idealizations which are correlations made by us.

[Blunderov] Quote from the book: In short, the physical world, according to quantum mechanics, is: ... not a structure built out of independently existing unanalyzable entities, but rather a web of relationships between elements whose meanings arise wholly from their relationships to the whole. (Stapp)

[rhinoceros] The two ontological quotes from the book, which essentially say that \"the world is one\" are plausible, if you take into account the current mainstream interpretations of quantum mechanics as [b]nonlocal[/b] (involving correlations established faster than light across spacelike or negative timelike intervals).

Of course there are still attempts for an interpretation of quantum mechanics retaining locality, which would thwart this ontological scheme, but these attempte have been going on for decades, with less and less success.

Nevertheless, judging by the titles of the other books by this author, I would not have the patience to go through his theories about elevating my soul in harmony to the universe.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11635>