RE: virus: purely metaphysical

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 23:02:31 MST

Sun 2002/03/24 03:3 rhinoceros [rhinoceros@freemail.gr] wrote:

<snip>
[rhinoceros] Could be... My only problem is that when I am about to read a
book on contemporary physics with no mathematics, the first thing I check is
whether the author could use mathematics if he wanted to. And it does not
seem to be the case here...
<snap> and
<snip>
judging by the titles of the other books by this author, I would not have
the patience to go through his theories about elevating my soul in harmony
to the universe.
<snap>

[Blunderov] Thank you for your valuable comments. I wouldn't mind some
pointers to where \the new physics\ has been since the book in question was
published (1979) if you have the time, but I am afraid that anything with
even a hint of advanced maths in it would probably not be accessible to me.

Like you I have misgivings about the notion of \elevating my soul in harmony
to the universe\ if it is intended as anything other than a metaphorical
expression.

Going back to the mathematics, it is just as well, for me, that Gary Zukav
sought to explain this concept in terms other than mathematical: there is
little chance that the penny would dropped for me otherwise. He gave an
example in a footnote of the kind of mathematical expressions that are used
to prove these conclusions. It consisted of a string of symbols that I have
never even seen before (with the exception of one that looks like an "m" on
it's side and which I think means \the sum of\). This expression might as
well have been in Martian, let alone Greek, to my uncomprehending eyes - I
am not at all sure that there is even a font on my PC that contains these
symbols. They look like runes!

So, I am grateful to the author for the effort he made to explain these
matters in words; he succeeded, and the world is actually a different place
for me this morning. It turns out that I know much, much less about it than
I thought I did. Amazingly, this doesn't bother me at all!

Warm regards

Blunderov.